Window Glass Bug

Shootey

18 hours ago, Shootey said:

Markngard will make any number of identical bugs once you give them your artwork. 

Thanks, I contacted him 

here is the weboage

https://www.markngard.com/product/custom-bug-glass-etch-stencils-w-etch-cream/

And anyone that have used them , how clean is the logo ,  as good as OEM ?    

OHHHH and how did the OEM glass makers put the "bug " on when they made them ?

Thanks again

Edited by californiamilleghia (see edit history)

I think they're as clear as oem.I'm not sure how they were made originally.The driver side and front windshield should be installed on the outside of the Windows so they can be read normally from left to right and the passenger side Windows from the inside out.Thats how my other car daily driver is. I think they marked them all the same on the assembly line.

On 6/10/2022 at 8:31 AM, bryankazmer said:

Gary's chemistry is right - glass is etched with hydrofluoric acid.  It's much more dangerous than hydrochloric. 

LOF's trademarks (and Pilkington's Triplex) are now owned by Nippon Sheet Glass.  US headquarters is still the LOF site in Northwood (Toledo), OH.  They offer aftermarket glass.  I don't know how aggressively they defend the trademarks.

Former L O F / NSG Employee here. There was a period about 25 years ago where they did make all the glass shops knock this off. I think they were concerned about liability. What if someone "bugged" glass that wasn't safety?  Glass fabricators still use the methods described here to bug glass "in the field" on architectural projects where the inspector looked for it and couldn't find it. In my experience the stencil works better than the stamp because it takes a fair amount of the acid to get a good etch and with a stamp it tends to be a big blob. HF is very bad stuff...be careful! 

Gary's chemistry is right - glass is etched with hydrofluoric acid.  It's much more dangerous than hydrochloric. 

LOF's trademarks (and Pilkington's Triplex) are now owned by Nippon Sheet Glass.  US headquarters is still the LOF site in Northwood (Toledo), OH.  They offer aftermarket glass.  I don't know how aggressively they defend the trademarks.

Former L O F / NSG Employee here. There was a period about 25 years ago where they did make all the glass shops knock this off. I think they were concerned about liability. What if someone "bugged" glass that wasn't safety?  Glass fabricators still use the methods described here to bug glass "in the field" on architectural projects where the inspector looked for it and couldn't find it. In my experience the stencil works better than the stamp because it takes a fair amount of the acid to get a good etch and with a stamp it tends to be a big blob. HF is very bad stuff...be careful! 

On 1/19/2023 at 6:34 PM, Buick35 said:

Hi , Buick35 was nice enough to send me his extra stencils and "acid" , it arrived today , 

I will try it next week at my friends shop and report.

I also talked to a company at the Screen print trade show Sunday that has a  mask to use to sandblast a logo in glass,

He did a demo and it was very detailed , but a little too deep , 

That type mask has a outer later that when UV light hits it hardens and the sand bounces off , the area that the UV light was masked is soft and the sand blows it off and then blasts the glass , 

these stencils are of course one time use.......

Edited by californiamilleghia (see edit history)