1954 Buick Special questions

larryabbott

Greetings, I am the happy owner of a '54 Special.  It is well-sorted and in great shape.  However, I am wondering about the feasibility of some upgrades:  1) with the single master cylinder under the driver floor, is it possible to upgrade to a dual master in some way?  2)  car starts right up (12 volt system) but can I go  to a Pertronix or MSD ignition with minimal hassle or should I leave well-enough alone?   Any sources for the above also appreciated.  Many thanks, Larry

I also like the 1954 Buick, my opinion would be to leave brake system alone it is a reliable system as it was designed, I have read pros and cons about the updating the ignition system, is your car stick r automatic? If you scroll down to the Buick section there are a lot of very knowledgeable people to ask and bounce off questions that you may have. Please post some photos of your new car.

Bob

On 5/30/2022 at 6:33 AM, larryabbott said:

Greetings, I am the happy owner of a '54 Special.  It is well-sorted and in great shape.  However, I am wondering about the feasibility of some upgrades:  1) with the single master cylinder under the driver floor, is it possible to upgrade to a dual master in some way?  2)  car starts right up (12 volt system) but can I go  to a Pertronix or MSD ignition with minimal hassle or should I leave well-enough alone?   Any sources for the above also appreciated.  Many thanks, Larry

I went the Junkyard and found a remote reservoir from an early 50's Cadd. It has a different cap on the master cylinder which is threaded for a brake line to be attached there and on up the firewall goes the steel brake line where the vertically oriented reservoir is bolted to the firewall and has its own cap that would normally be on a master cylinder. More volume for bleeding and easy access. Factory brakes for Spec.1954 have a 1-3/4" wide brake shoe surface, same year Century has 2 or 2-1/4"(memory flatulence), at any rate, all those Century brake parts bolt on,(backing plates must be used from Century as well. Once that's done you have upped the available braking surface to equal five Special size brakes and it all just bolts on! Woohoo! Good luck!

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Like 1