Anyone ever used Le Tonkinois varnish ?

Tom Boehm

Very good point: A partially used spray can will last much longer than an opened quart can. 

Do you think two spray cans will go as far as a quart of varnish?   I'm assuming a spray can will not cover as much as a brush on quart. 

To put it very simply varnish has more natural ingredients like tung oil. Urethane is chemically liquid plastic. There is a slight difference in appearance. Some people say urethane looks "plasticy". A lot don't notice the difference or don't care. My opinion is urethane just has less amber tint than varnish. In my opinion, autobody clear coat on wood looks cold because it has no tint at all.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blind pew said:

Well.................................. you guys are pros, so I value your opinion. 

I've always used marine urethane and have been happy with it. I know there is a complaint of a "blue", cold appearance, but I don't seem to see it. 

Can you guys help educate me on the benefit of using varnish over marine urethane? One thing I like about it is it is durable as hell. 

I'm never looking for an "original" finish, so that is not a concern. The marine urethane looks good on boats as well. Why is varnish superior?

Marine varnishes are a combination of an oil (usually Tung oil), various resins, driers, and in the case of a spar varnish, UV filters. One part urethane varnishes use urethane based resins and are very similar to traditional varnishes. They have nothing in common with two part catalyzed urethanes, like automotive clear coats. Years ago I built a wood boat and finished it in a urethane varnish. I took it to a lot of shows and got nothing but compliments on the finish. I brushed all of the build up coats on and had the last coat sprayed, I think that had something to do with it. Lots of comments on the gloss, never heard a negative comment. I sold the boat and saw it quite a few years later, the finish was still original and holding up quite well. The last picture is another boat I built that I am pretty sure got the same varnish.

IMG_1025.JPG

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_2386.jpg

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_1850.jpg

• Like 1

That looks great!

I know that varnish is preferable for purists, and probably looks better when comparing, side by side. 

I guess the durability of urethane is appealing to me. That being said, the finishes you guys post here are beautiful and flawless!