Severin Radiator Badge Repro - Accurate or Fantasy?

TexRiv_63

I have another semi mystery badge for a Severin car measuring 3 7/8" wide by 1 5/8" high, most likely a Pulfer reproduction. My source books confirm the Severin was built in Kansas City in 1920-21 in small numbers. A badge with this shape and name is shown on an old emblem poster I have but the picture is too small to see any detail. Has anyone ever seen a real one of these and is the design on this one accurate? Thanks.

20220514_153447.jpg

20220514_153601.jpg

IMG_0180 - Copy.JPG

I have a photo of an original one somewhere but can't find it at the moment. If my memory serves me right there is a manufacturer's name at back. Here is another photo I have but I'm not sure if this is original or not..

Severin SM-IMG_5317.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hanski said:

I have a photo of an original one somewhere but can't find it at the moment. If my memory serves me right there is a manufacturer's name at back. Here is another photo I have but I'm not sure if this is original or not..

Severin SM-IMG_5317.jpg

Thanks, that is perfect match to mine!

Discerning between an original and a good reproduction badge, the devil is in the details. I see a lot of detail differences between these 2 badges, not the least of which is the (1) blue versus white border. (2)The general background is dark maroon versus black.(3) The brass outlines on the Hanski badge are much thinner generally and more uniform. (4) The blue border on the lower left corner is uniform in width as it turns the corner in the Hanski, while on the OP, the "white" border changes width as it turns the corner. (5)The red lens reflective area is much more subtle and refined in the Hanski photo. (6) The distance from the top of the S to the brass border is about twice the width of the brass border in Hanski photo, but only about same as brass border in OP. (7)Look at the brass edge of the S as it rises above the center bar of the E. In the Hanski, the brass is neat well defined. In the OP, it is blurred and hard to differentiate. (8) Even the small DOT at bottom center is perfectly centered in Hanski, including being on centerline of writing i.e. centered on the K. In OP, this Dot is slightly off-center of badge, and not centered in writing. My view is the Hanski badge is likely original and the OP is a decent reproduction. They are certainly not a "perfect match". 

Edited by Gunsmoke
added info (see edit history)
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Discerning between an original and a good reproduction badge, the devil is in the details. I see a lot of detail differences between these 2 badges, not the least of which is the (1) blue versus white border. (2)The general background is dark maroon versus black.(3) The brass outlines on the Hanski badge are much thinner generally and more uniform. (4) The blue border on the lower left corner is uniform in width as it turns the corner in the Hanski, while on the OP, the "white" border changes width as it turns the corner. (5)The red lens reflective area is much more subtle and refined in the Hanski photo. (6) The distance from the top of the S to the brass border is about twice the width of the brass border in Hanski photo, but only about same as brass border in OP. (7)Look at the brass edge of the S as it rises above the center bar of the E. In the Hanski, the brass is neat well defined. In the OP, it is blurred and hard to differentiate. (8) Even the small DOT at bottom center is perfectly centered in Hanski, including being on centerline of writing i.e. centered on the K. In OP, this Dot is slightly off-center of badge, and not centered in writing. My view is the Hanski badge is likely original and the OP is a decent reproduction. They are certainly not a "perfect match". 

Upon a good second look I totally agree.

On 5/16/2022 at 5:14 AM, hanski said:

Severin SM-IMG_5317.jpg

Do you by any chance have dimensions for this badge?