Front wheel bearing seal

Does anyone have a part no. for front wheel bearing grease seal, or sizes of same for 1940 Buick Special mod. 46.   Bought last ones from Bob’s Automobilia, seemed the grease leaked past the seal.  They were made in Taiwan by a company called Chu Hung Oil Seals. Their part no. Is 14350. A bearing company near me had never heard of that company and had no conversion chart for it.  Thanks, Tom

I believe that is Buick 1317094, and I don't have one to look at. Almost all Buicks of the period used a steel retainer with a felt or leather packing (thick washer). The two pieces sold separately, and you could just replace the packing for maintenance. 1317094 is the exception, the part number includes both, making me wonder if it might be something more like a modern seal.

These aren't much of a seal, just a felt or leather washer wiping on metal. They don't usually cause any trouble. I have to wonder what was wrong with the Chu Hung seal. Did it not fit properly in the bore in the hub? How did it fit on the spindle? Loose? Do you have any pictures of it? If by some chance it was metric, it will have the dimensions on it in millimeters, but that only helps if it fit properly.

P.S. This isn't what you asked, but could it have been overpacked or had some grease that melts at a low temperature? These ball bearings do not have to be packed clear full like Timkens, though every part of the bearing should be completely covered in grease. I coat the cavity very lightly with grease to prevent rust from starting and getting out into the bearings, but the instructions say it shouldn't be more that 1/16" thick. Also these bearings run with a very slight preload, unlike Timkens which would rather have a tiny bit of slop. 1952 instructions from New Departure, who made the bearings, are here. Note the part about how to adjust the nut. This is the same setup you have on a 1940 Buick.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/1952sbb/52bb12.htm

Thanks for your reply with the attachment.  I probably did put too much grease in the bearings.  I have more experience with roller bearings. I’ve attached a photo of the seal that I removed. It appeared grease was leaking from the outside edge as well as the inside of the seal where the plastic seal is when I removed them. I don’t recall many, if an seals in the past that leaked between the seal and the hub. Also, the seal came out very easily. One tap on a doll rod and out it came, perfectly in tact. I know I filled the cage with grease when I last packed them. Now I know that is not require, thanks to the info you sent me.  After reading many posts that say the felt seals work just fine, I may just go back to using them. I have the cases that the felt fits into, just have to get new felt.  Thanks again, Tom

EAE75735-FAEF-4E7A-9F34-C2A4C1F51375.jpeg

• Like 1

I am using the felt in my 1936 Pontiac, and have not yet had any trouble. That seal looks like it should work, but if it fits too loose of course it wouldn't. Thanks for posting the pics. One way or another I hope it works out for you.

Tom, see my post to the other thread you created about these front wheel seals. I have the correct, genuine BUICK NOS seals you're looking for. New in box. These have the correct flange as the original, unlike your made- in-China ones.

These are original and correct for 1934, 1935 and 1936 BUICK 40 series; 1937, 1938 and 1939 series 40-60;  and 1940 series 40-50-60-70  (with retainer).$30 a pair, plus the shipping. I have several of these NOS pairs available. John

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/378471-40’-special-mod-46-wheel-bearing-seal/#comment-2367639

2024017378_001(700x538).jpg.5f41c9e9f1e00835ceec14f56d04f677.jpg1676766749_004(700x491).jpg.d18033f0b82ab907b1d82c68e5a3e2e3.jpg539041790_007(700x569).jpg.786842c6bafe5cd08cfe2e762976459a.jpg

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 1