1924 Chrysler vin identification help

Alex Cotic

Hello I have a 1924 Chrysler Phaeton B or B70  this car spent most of its life in Canada, please help identify exactly what model and any other info, thanks:

Vin no 1572

Frame no, left rear tail  1572

Engine no stamped on timing gear cover

I also have fedco plate, number BW551S but was not mounted to the car,so not sure if it's original to this car.

Many thanks

Alex

20210902_144530.jpg

IMG_20220314_162201.jpg

Edited by Alex Cotic (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There is not a great deal to tell. The 1924 Chrysler serial numbers went from 1001 to 32813 so yours is a very early one. It may have been built in January of 1924. 

My book has no engine number info but I suspect with that number the engine may be correct.

There should be a casting date on the cylinder head which would date the engine.

We have the remains of a similar model but the serial number of 36552 puts into the early part of 1925 production. The engine number is 60883 and the date on the head of 1 - 22 - 25 confirms it is at least correct for the period.

The 1924 and 1925 Chrysler 70s did not use the Fedco plate system. The last 'non-Fedco' car is serial number 55800. 

The Fedco plate you have is for a Canadian-built 1926 Model 60.

One question - does your car have a Fisher body plate on the right side of the cowl? As I understand it Chrysler had Fisher in Canada build bodies for his cars. In 1926 he bought the Canadian Fisher plant and the cars ceased to have the Fisher body plate from then.

Hi Alex,

The numbers you have given proves the car is a 1924 model 70 and built in Detroit USA. Chrysler did not start making cars in Canada until 1926.

According to the book, 70 years of Chrysler by George Damman, Chrysler built 32812 cars in 1924, so yours is a very early one.

Damman says the 1925 Chryslers started with B32813 (this was the cars motor number) and these were known as a series B70. There is no reference to a prefix on motor numbers for 1924.

Also in Damman's book he states that the early Chryslers were built on the Chalmers production line and from November 1924 they started building them with Fisher bodies. Those with fisher bodies are generally considered 1925 model B70 series.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Alex Cotic said:

Hi sorry for the late reply, does your book say how many 1924  mod 70 phaetons were produced? Thanks, Alex

The Standard Catalog has no breakdown of individual body style production figures. I think it reasonable to assume that the majority of that year's production - maybe 80%?? - would have been open body cars. Both a touring car and a phaeton  - both five passenger - are listed but there is no information as to how they differ.

• Thanks 1