1955 Dynaflow Leak - How much is normal?

EconoJoe

So I'm knee deep sorting out an ever growing assortment of mechanical and a few appearance concerns on a 55 Super that I bought about 6 weeks ago. After reading a number of posts about notorious Dynaflow leaks it came as no surprise that mine has a few external drips and, when I checked the differential oil level, I was greeted with about a cup or so of ATF flowing out. The good news is that it seemingly hasn't pumped enough back to effect the rear axle seals, as the inside of the backing plates are dry.

I've been noticing a lot of "they all leak" posts. So the question is how much is too much? Clearly the external drips are just a matter of personal tolerance and keeping it filled. What I'm trying to figure out if that amount of ATF dilution into the rear axle lube is a huge deal, a concern, or nothing to loose sleep over. This is all along the lines of deciding if I should go after replacing the torque ball & output shaft seals or not.

OK. I'm going all in on this car anyway so why not jump in on this. My follow-up question is to ask if there is much difference between the kits that I see from various vendors? And are there any potential 'extras' beyond the average kit contents that I might find needed in there once it's apart?

Here I thought GM designed crankshaft and transmission seals to leak so they wouldn't be all dry and flaky like the Fords.

Used to see a lot of guys replacing rust Ford oil pans, don't remember any GM's rusting out.

And Hudson's made them so the clutch would sling it out all over the place.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Haha 4