Fabricating Seat Spring assembly

MikeC5

My opinion is that you may be using too much of a seam and pleat allowance on the surface material.  Too much material trying to go around smaller radius.

Try different widths.  Most of the pleat work I do with leather requires only about 5/8” to make a nice pleat.  Thus a 4” pleat marked on backing would be 4-5/8” marked on backside of leather.  After marking leather, use a hammer to crease along lines, makes it much easier to sew.  Sew about an eighth inch in from fold.

Yes, I know many will say that’s not enough allowance, but it will surprise you.

Thanks guys.  I received my hides yesterday and so was able to do a test piece with the real thing today.  The results were much improved!  I did try a smaller fold allowance (distance from folt to sew line) and experimented with cotton, jute and a combination of both.  The 3/8" jute and layered 1/8" cotton seemed to work best.  It bends around the radius well and the pleats don't look too flat.  The original upholstery was stuffed with cotton and I did manage to salvage a chunk of it that measured about 1" thick and was fairly firm.  I suspect the 2" thick cottom batting doubled up gives about the same result.  It seemed to be a bit too think the ensure a smoth bend around the radius.  

IMG_2571.jpeg

IMG_2572.jpeg

3-8 jute.jpeg

1 in cotton.jpeg

Jute and thin cotton layering.jpeg

Jute and layered cotton.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeC5 said:

Thanks guys.  I received my hides yesterday and so was able to do a test piece with the real thing today.  The results were much improved!  I did try a smaller fold allowance (distance from folt to sew line) and experimented with cotton, jute and a combination of both.  The 3/8" jute and layered 1/8" cotton seemed to work best.  It bends around the radius well and the pleats don't look too flat.  The original upholstery was stuffed with cotton and I did manage to salvage a chunk of it that measured about 1" thick and was fairly firm.  I suspect the 2" thick cottom batting doubled up gives about the same result.  It seemed to be a bit too think the ensure a smoth bend around the radius.  

IMG_2571.jpeg

IMG_2572.jpeg

3-8 jute.jpeg

1 in cotton.jpeg

Jute and thin cotton layering.jpeg

Jute and layered cotton.jpeg

Looks great Mike. I really enjoyed doing my seats it was a great challenge to do them. I stuffed each of my pleats with strips of 40mm Dacron. I used an aluminium straight edge to push them in. 

8 hours ago, MikeC5 said:

Thanks Matt, looks nice!  The Dacron is the white stuff?  What kind of/thickness foam is that?  It looks like you were sewing through it at the hidden pleat fold?  And then the dacron goes behind the foam?

The foam was 1/2” thick. I sewed the leather to it then stuffed the 40mm white Dacron into the pleat. I folded the end of the Dacron over an aluminium straight edge and the pushed it up the length of it. Then just pulled the straight edge out leaving the Dacron hanging out both ends. 

• 5 months later...

Making slow but steady progress.  After getting unsatisfactory results with cotton stuffing, I tried jute.  I was happy with a 1/2 thick topped with 1/4" thick piece.  The pleats come out more uniform, bend around tight curves better and at least jute is an orginally used material in other parts of the upholstery.  The back of front seat is installed amd bottom cushion is ready to install.

IMG_2724.jpeg

IMG_3246.jpeg

• Like 2