4 x 34 tires for 1914 Srudebaker

I have been advertising for some used 34x4 rollers here for several years, and... crickets. It's an odd size. The good news in your case is that if the car has 33x4 now, 34x4 will not fit your rims. A 34x4 tire goes on a 26 inch rim. 34-4-4=26. A 33x4 goes on a 25 inch rim. 33-4-4=25. 25 inch rims are much more common than 26 and easier to get tires for.

One size larger tire on a 25 inch rim would be 34x4-1/2. When you figure out exactly what you need, you might try posting it in the general AACA parts wanted section. https://forums.aaca.org/forum/149-parts-wanted/ . AACA is a bigger crowd than CCCA, and AACA includes a lot more cars that might take your size. Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Thank you for taking the time to school me on this, its my first time with these odd ball tires and rims. I'm glad to hear that the 25"rims and tires are more common, I had myself convinced of just the opposite. I have a 4x33 tire off the rim that came with the car and it measures 25 3/4 ID so I thought it was perhaps forced on a 26" rim. 

I really need to take a wheel off the car and remove the tire to get a proper rim measurement. 

Would the Hershey library have information on the correct tire /rim size for this car?

Thank you again!

SIze is measured at the base of the bead, so literally inside the rim or the ID of the tire bead. 25-3/4 does indeed sound odd. I can't explain that. Is this car located in the USA? Straight sided tires have steel in the bead and do not stretch. I expect cramming a tire on that is a whole inch too small would be impossible. I've not been to the new AACA library, but I would be shocked if they don't have that information. It's probably even in a Dyke's manual. In the early days of brass era car restoration, tires for some cars were just plain not available, so it is possible someone has changed the wheels to fit available tires long ago. I wouldn't really expect that though. I also have an early Studebaker, a 1913 Model 25. It is a smaller car, and takes 30x3-1/2 (like most T Fords) so tires are easy for that one. Best of luck with your project.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...