1929 Buick gas cap

johns29

Hello everyone,

I need a gas cap for my 1929 Buick model 27  series 116. I am having a hard time finding one. I bought two different ones that were supposed to fit and neither one fit. Luckily I was able to return them. I had a gentleman tell me the 29 was different than the years before and after. The filler neck is bigger. So if anyone has one or knows where I can get one please let me know. Thanks in advance...

• 3 weeks later...

I too am in need of a '29 Buick gas cap for my 29-25x. I recently got this reply from Bob's Automobilia

On order for over a year now . I will e-mail when I have news .

Bob

Hello:

These articles were in my last 2 Newsletters.

GAS CAP: Gary Hertzler (26S) writes: "As a result of a stupid move on my part, I lost my gas cap on the way to an AACA meet. Do you have any pictures or better yet a drawing of the 29 Buick gas cap. I have a lathe and a big bar of aluminum and was thinking of turning one out.” I sent Gary some photos & measurements and he sent me pictures of what he made. Looks good !

image.png.6214347a9ae6dd9e0ecd9e7143c85a10.png

Gary Hertzler’s reproduced gas cap

REPRO GAS CAP COMMENT: Vaughn Gunthorpe (44X) writes: “I read where one of the members lost the fuel tank cap for his 29. Rather than make one out of alloy, may I suggest he machine it out of Stainless Steel and have it polished or brass’ed

and have it chromed. What I have done with mine is buy some stainless chain (delicate) and fasten it to the underside of the cap. The chain falls down, inside the filler spout, where a stainless threaded screw and nut fastens it to the inside of the spout. While it can still be stolen, it will not fall off and be lost. I also replaced the locking lug with a much heavier, high tensile, spring steel tang so that it securely locks in place.

As you can see the chain is fastened to the inside base of the cap. I drilled and tapped it taking care not to go right through but leaving enough room for the thread to hold the screw very firmly. The screw is bottomed out on the thread and is locked tight”.

Bill McLaughlin

1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Newsletter