34 Dictator Transmission question

Are there any common failures or wear out parts on these transmissions? I planned on just flushing it out but the output bearing seems to have more slop than I like so I'm replacing it. . While I'm in there I want to be sure there's not a common failure to address. 

20220321_145818.jpg

On 3/21/2022 at 2:58 PM, Albtrossca said:

Are there any common failures or wear out parts on these transmissions? I planned on just flushing it out but the output bearing seems to have more slop than I like so I'm replacing it. . While I'm in there I want to be sure there's not a common failure to address. 

20220321_145818.jpg

I claim no expertise on Stude transmissions other than the use of their WG internals in Pierce.

I believe, per Hollanders, that the internals of the Dictator (not the President) transmission were also used in Pierce 8s and 12s 1936-38 with standard factory OD.  The Pierce trans and OD cast iron cases are unique to Pierce.  So the internals are robust, however....

The failing of the 1936-38 Pierce ODs is that the OD output shaft has a bushing rather than a bearing.  The bushing gets egg-shaped with use (OD shaft is separate from transmission main shaft) and the unobtanium clutch gear takes the brunt and breaks.  So if you have a bushing on the output shaft, this would be the time to machine the case to covert it to a bearing and to add a modern lip seal.

• Like 1

Having had my hands in 15 plus Pierce units.........I have never seen a failure related to any bushing or gear issue. The grandson of the designer was a friend of mine........and we spent a few days with them at their gear company in Syracuse NY. It my knowledge NOTHING is interchangeable with the Pierce unit......the Chrysler stuff looks similar but is smaller.  Having driven tens of thousands of miles on the Warner R-1, the only failure I have ever seen was lack of oil in a unit. I find it hard to believe that a Dictator gear set up could handle the torque of any Pierce 12.........and I am betting the interchange is wrong......by a mile. 

The only common issue I have seen is water/condensation in the box.....causing rust.....and it seems the input shaft takes the brunt of the problems........from rust.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Having had my hands in 15 plus Pierce units.........I have never seen a failure related to any bushing or gear issue. The grandson of the designer was a friend of mine........and we spent a few days with them at their gear company in Syracuse NY. It my knowledge NOTHING is interchangeable with the Pierce unit......the Chrysler stuff looks similar but is smaller.  Having driven tens of thousands of miles on the Warner R-1, the only failure I have ever seen was lack of oil in a unit. I find it hard to believe that a Dictator gear set up could handle the torque of any Pierce 12.........and I am betting the interchange is wrong......by a mile. 

The only common issue I have seen is water/condensation in the box.....causing rust.....and it seems the input shaft takes the brunt of the problems........from rust.

Got any 8-dog clutch gears to spare, Ed?  I stand by my statements above.  The only issue I know of is the rear OD shaft bushing which is the subject of a couple of PAS Service Bulletin articles--and it happened to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grimy said:

Got any 8-dog clutch gears to spare, Ed?  I stand by my statements above.  The only issue I know of is the rear OD shaft bushing which is the subject of a couple of PAS Service Bulletin articles--and it happened to me.

Yes......have the spare parts......multiples actually. Also entire spare units..........The only common issue I am aware of on Pierce 8 or 12 transmissions is the free wheeling sprag from 1932.......the brass dogs tend to get pounded on quite a bit. The Chrysler OD unit on the big cars is identical except the output shaft, so they can be used for parts..........I have a spare NOS Chrysler unit on the shelf I bought in Hershey thirty years ago. I suspect if someone has had a bushing issue it was from lack of lubrication........probably caused by a leak. I’m willing to bet between John and myself we have done more of the OD units than anyone else............and have never had any issues with the bushings.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. It gives me some confidence in what I'm seeing inside. The input bearing seems to be the only one with wear. There is no rust from. Water ingress so I'm safe there. I  have a feeling  there was a slight lack of lube from a leak which might explain the one bad bearing.