68 Access to Vacuum Tank

Wurstfreund

Hi there from Germany.

Is there a special trick to get access to the vacuum hoses on the tank which is buried under the left fender?

The hoses are all dried up and brittle and crying for replacement. In addition the power locks are not working and i guess this is where the cause is to search for.

Thank you!

Markus

It is tough to reach this tank.  You basically have to feel around with your hand.  There should be a check valve just before the tank which controls vacuum going in and out.  These can fail with age.  There are numerous places where vacuum can leak from these systems.  Check the vacuum port on the firewall and work your way from there.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:01 AM, Pat Curran said:

It is tough to reach this tank.  You basically have to feel around with your hand.  There should be a check valve just before the tank which controls vacuum going in and out.  These can fail with age.  There are numerous places where vacuum can leak from these systems.  Check the vacuum port on the firewall and work your way from there.

I hope you have a body and chassis manual. These will aid you considerably when replacing and routing rubber hoses.

Don't remove all of the rubber hoses at once. Replace them one at a time.

Don't remove the rubber hoses from the headlight switch unless absolutely necessary. You have to remove the switch from the dash in order to even get to these hoses on the switch. 

Be aware that there is a spiders web of rubber hoses attached to the AC/Heater controls and some of the ventilation control valves.

Definitely don't remove ANY of those unless you have a chassis manual. You won't be able to determine where they go unless you have the manual.

If you need a firewall vacuum port, let me know. I have several NOS ones for sale with rubber caps on them.

Good luck.