1958 heater hose questions

kmx888

As always one thing leads to the next. What started as a leaking heater hose “how hard could this be to fix” project is a bit more challenging that other similar jobs that I’ve done. Because the hose ends up and inside the fender will take some time I only want to do it once. I notice that there are what appears to be a third small curved hose up in the outlet/inlet  area. What does it do? Is it a mounded piece? It looks like using a short section of heater hose will cause it to kink. Lastly I cannot find any sign of an under seat heating system of any type. If it was removed where did the hoses for it terminate.

1958 Buick Special

kevin

The small heater hose goes from the core to the heater control valve.  I forget what I have done in the past with this piece...possibly a longer piece to allow the hose to curl more naturally.  Or if you can get behind the parts counter at the store, you may be able to find a hose that matches the shape you need and cut it to size. 

As far as the under seat heater, all it does is loop through.  So it can be completely bypassed without having to "cap" any hoses.  Do you have a 1958 Buick chassis manual?

• Like 2

I used a Dayco # 70553 a formed hose from heater control valve to heater core, Buick # 1181896, as @Smartin said 1958 Buick chassis manual is your best bet for information, and also 1958 Buick Body service manual, if you need any information from a Buick Master chassis parts book let me know as also have the 1958 only chassis and body parts manual.

Bob

Edited by NailheadBob
added body (see edit history)

18 hours ago, kmx888 said:

What is   but purpose of this hose? As for the under seat heater I suspect it may have been removed and bears further investigation

third hose.jpg

The purpose of that hose is to be able to change the temperature for the heater, it connects the heater temperature control valve outlet to heater core inlet,  I used a Dayco brand formed hose part # 70553