Want to Buy Silver-nickel Bar stock for running board strips

John C.

Wanted: A source of Silver-Nickel (aka German Silver) bar stock for twelve running board strips close to 6 ft (1.83 meters) long, either 5/16-inch (7.9375 millimeters) square or in a rectangular profile 5/16 by 1/4 inches (7.9375 by 6.35 millimeters.)  Not pre-drilled and if possible, with slight-chamfered edges.  Location:  Near Seattle, WA

43GX Running Boards 1931 Photo low res.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

John,

My experience with fabricating a radiator from German silver is that only limited shapes are available.  For example half round material is not available so I wound up machining round stock into the required shape.  In your situation machining german silver round bar into a rectangular or square shape may be the best solution.  Not an easy or cheap solution but one possible idea. 

Online metals is where I purchased German silver sheets and round bar.  It has been a few years but at the time they had the largest pieces of material I could find.  They also had the best price but that is relative because the material is expensive.  Online Metals

Alan

Don't know if this will help...but...stair nosing might work.  Available in brass which can be chrome, or other, plated for the desired appearance.

Bigger stuff can be cut down...my experience is to work with what can be found....Vintage Hardware has a workable size for trimming......near you too.   Here's a link.........

https://www.vintagehardware.com/proddetail.php?prod=28494