Carter BB1 669s dripping fuel

Rod L

I have a hotrodded 1915 Model T Racer that I rebuilt the Carburetor (Carter BB1 669s). The problem is that when shut down gas will leak out of the bottom if you advance the throttle, it doesn't take much, just a 1/16" or so. It does not leak if you don't advance the throttle.

20220201_122426.jpg

85601114.jpg

I have recently been struggling to get my 1930 Franklin  to run well on a BB1.  Not quite there yet, but I have learned one thing about this carburetor:  If you give it throttle when the engine is not running, it will pump excess fuel which will drip out the vent in the bottom.  Thus, when starting, do not use throttle, only choke, otherwise it will flood.  Same will happen if you give it throttle after shutting down; throttle will cause it to flood.  The power pump pushes extra fuel, and if there is not vacuum from a running engine to pull it up into the manifold, then it will run down and out the vent hole in the bottom.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Akstraw said:

I have recently been struggling to get my 1930 Franklin  to run well on a BB1.  Not quite there yet, but I have learned one thing about this carburetor:  If you give it throttle when the engine is not running, it will pump excess fuel which will drip out the vent in the bottom.  Thus, when starting, do not use throttle, only choke, otherwise it will flood.  Same will happen if you give it throttle after shutting down; throttle will cause it to flood.  The power pump pushes extra fuel, and if there is not vacuum from a running engine to pull it up into the manifold, then it will run down and out the vent hole in the bottom.

Akstraw, Thanks for the info, I've been trying to fix something that wasn't broken, your post has kept me out of the funny farm.

I am greatful

Rod

50 minutes ago, carbking said:

This is one reason Stromberg and Zenith updraft carburetors have vacuum actuated accelerator pumps rather than mechanical actuated accelerator pumps.

Jon.

Jon, thanks for the confimation.

Rod

PS just in-case I was to move up to a Zeinth or Stromberg, what would be a comparable model to replace the Carter 699s

Rod - no offense, but not going to do it that way.

Give me some data: displacement, compression ratio, RPM range, fuel system type (gravity, pressure) center-to-center manifold mounting bolt spacing; and I will see what I can do.

Jon.