Help with my 68 AMC Javelin SST grille & wiring

The grille on my 68 Javelin has a big crack, nearly ready to break in half. Any ideas on best repair method, glue to use? Also, have a bad ground in the wiring somewhere. Having a difficult time locating it. Where does the wiring harness run from the fuse box to the rear of the car, taillights, signals and to the inside courtesy lights? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Paul

I have had some success using a fine pointed soldering iron and carefully "welding" cracks in the plastic.  If you have some extra plastic of the same type you can use it to add filler to the crack.  Do the welding on the back, unseen side of the crack if possible. The wiring for the tail lights, trunk light, gas tank sender, and rear courtesy lights runs along the left side of the car under the carpet into the trunk area as best I can recall.  

• Like 2

I suggest you take time to identify what plastic your grille is made of before you attempt anything.

If it is ABS, it may be possible to solvent-weld it to a very high standard. The solvent for ABS is MEK, and it is getting a little hard to procure. ABS can also be welded with ABS pipe cement from the store, but you may want to consider making your own for many reasons. I have done a little of this. If it's ABS, post good pictures and I may have some advice. You can also find many other postings elsewhere on the web by people who have more experience with it than I do. There is a high rate of success with this particular plastic if you approach it carefully.

If it is some kind of a poly plastic, you may need to be doing what richard m suggested. There is also a product called q-bond you might want to check into, and see if it fits your needs.

• Like 1

OK Bloo, I'll take some pictures and post them soon. I had not heard of the q-bond before now. At this point, I am not sure what type plastic it is made from, but will try to find out.

• Like 1