Importing cars to the US from Canada...

f.f.jones

Since there are many Canadian AACA members, I would like to ask you (and US members, too), what the current procedure for importing cars, especially collector cars, into the US from Canada - pandemic not withstanding. Are there minimum vehicle age requirements, value concerns, border crossing restrictions, lengthy paperwork forms, taxes and/or duties, and what is the best way to safely, for buyer and seller, to transfer funds.

For the US members: once in the states, are there difficulties getting a clear US title having a Canadian registration to transfer?

Second question: Importing "parts" both in the form of loose, disassembled parts and, alternately, an assembled "parts car" with no title or registration. Are there different procedures?

There may be a web site that spells out all the technicalities, but personal knowledge and experiences would be most helpful. I would be most interested in importing a '30's or '40's car with a sales price of US $20k or less.

Thanks in advance for any information. 

For the best answer call the border point that you plan to cross at - it really is quite simple and painless.  Doesn't matter which way you are going you will need to make sure that there is a title/ownership for the vehicle.  Basically if you call ahead to the export side (in your case the Canadian side) by a day or two you will be told where to send electronic copies of the documents for the vehicle so that the border officers can check to make sure there are no liens or that it is stolen.  When you get to the border you stop on the export side to get the clearance to export the vehicle and then again on the import (US side) to import the vehicle.  If there is no title/ownership it will be a no go except for parts only.  Parts for a vehicle 25 yrs plus are classified as antique auto parts and travel both ways without an issue.  Due to the dollar amount sales tax might have to paid on the import side but again the border agents can fill you in on that.  The best time you can spend is a 10 to 15 minute call to the border agents and you will find that it really is easy.

Don

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, f.f.jones said:

Thank you, Don. I was anticipating a boat load of red tape and delays. I guess the real challenge may lie at the hands of my local motor vehicle department. There seems to be no simple way to deal with them sometimes. Thanks again.

I've actually found the border people to usually be quite good - of course there is also the you get what you give aspect.  I picked up a load of parts for my 30 Dodge in Winnipeg and transported them back home cutting through the US, I had a bill of sale in hand for them and stopped at both side of the border on the way in to the US, on the Canadian side to get them to sign that I was leaving Canada with them and on the US side as you normally would entering the country, both agents were extremely friendly though I didn't realize at the time why the US agent told me "good luck and be careful" until 30 miles down the road I ran into wild grass fires in North Dakota.  I've driven through snow storms and fog so thick that you hang your head out the window to see where you are going but nothing compares to smoke and flames on both sides of the road!

I never heard of a person having a boat load of red tape buying a car in Canada and taking it back to USA.

when done properly ……and it is not that hard .

Basically the clear Canadian ownership papers CLEARED by the border will be honoured for US title in your state .

if you are transporting the Canadian car back home yourself and know the basics ….you can do without a broker . 

• Like 1

I imagine there is not much red tape for a USA  once back home in their state with a Canadian car and paperwork STAMPED and cleared by “ homeland security “ including lien checks and stolen search done ……not much your DMV can argue against “ USA homeland security authorized papers”

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

For yourself , there will be some rules and basic requirements to follow at the border for your own entry , fully vaccinated , covid test , changing covid rules , they may go further and check for criminal record , vehicle search etc.

and don’t quote me on the amount , but there is declaration required when carrying cash over certain amount like $5000.  And paperwork with $10,000. Or more ( I am not certain on the exact amounts )

also one important fact ……doing a bank transfer to pay for a car can take up to 3 days to show up at a bank cross border  ……archaic …and etransfer has limit of something like $3000.

The method of payment and or bank wire transfer etc ……is more the problem I have seen .

not to scare anybody here …..but there are always a vehicle or two sitting on either side of the border seized by border agents or denied for failing entry 

I have only done the cross border transaction from the U.S. to Canada and all to aware of the hoops that need to be jumped through to satisfy the U.S. Customs export approval requirement. But I have never heard of a similar process being involved with Canada Customs on vehicles leaving Canada. Can you elaborate ? 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

One thing to keep in mind is 

in Canada we do NOT have a title system here exactly the same as USA. 
here it is more a “ transfer of ownership “ which is usually just the licence plate registration papers 

This also means that it dose not guarantee the vehicle is free and clear .

Also if you are interested in a car that the seller dose not have ownership papers for ……in some provinces ……it is easy for the seller to go get ownership papers or a new up to date registration paper if you ask ……and of course ……if they are willing to do it for you .

I have old cars with no paperwork in Canada …….for example …..if a USA buyer wanted one of my cars …..I would go in to DMV …..as you Americans call it ……and get what you would call title ……here in the province of Manitoba …..can be done in an hour or less for $15.

1912 staver

yes it is standard practice to stop at both sides of the border when vehicle leaving the country …….permanently.

And this is both ways 

I have personally done this …..many times 

YOU  are exporting the vehicle out of Canada ……and importing the vehicle into USA.

If you are NOT experienced or worried 

USE A BROKER ……use a broker 

they are cheap ……$150 approx 

and they know ……and the border likes seeing broker paperwork …..knowing it’s done right .

I would say …..don’t be asking people on here or any forum how to do it …..and take that as the law ……ONLY. Call the border crossing ……or BROKER 

It can be a fun adventure and you can have a great trip . 
Maybe you want to have something different in your state too …….hmmm….. maybe a nice 1948 MERCURY 1/2 TON !….. loaded with chrome  or a Canadian only model car ?

• Like 1

To add more info ……or confusion lol

there are several border crossings with a neutral area between the border stations …….I will use “ the international peace gardens “ crossing in Manitoba /North Dakota just north of Dunseith ND …….a lot of vehicle/ parts sales happen here ( did close with covid I believe ) as buyer and seller from Canada and USA …..can enter the neutral

area to meet …..Canadian can unload sell and the USA buyer buy and  load ……..without entering Canada ……and Canadian seller not having to enter USA to sell  ( which isn’t allowed anyway )   ……..you do have to each re enter your own country after doing this .

Another important fact - NO CELLPHONE SERVICE AT BORDER

if you have a simple problem or missing paper . 
Border crossings block cell phones from working .