63-65 Riv power antenna

Barney Eaton

I have repaired lots of these antenna but have never taken one out of a car. 

The 63-65 has a very short outer tube for the mast and when down about 7 inches of the antenna extend above the fender. 

This subjects the mast, even when down, to possible damage.   

I have always assumed the under fender lacked room for a longer tube... taking to a customer today he had sent me an antenna that the tube is about 12 inches

and I assumed it was for a later car but he said it was out of his 64 Riv.     If this is correct,  then a longer outer tube could be substituted for the short (63-65) tube and

the mast would not stick out of the fender as much.

I know it would not be stock but if you do not have a show car,  then this would eliminated the possibility of damage to the mast when down.  

I have attached a photo of an assortment of outer tubes .... the one at the bottom is correct for the 63-65

This would be fairly easy to do...the most difficult parts is unsoldering the coax connection and reattaching it. 

The other picture is a stock 63-65 antenna when down.... sorry I will try and correct the orientation of the photo

TENNA LENGTHS.jpg

DSCN0679.JPG

63.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

I have repaired lots of these antenna but have never taken one out of a car. 

The 63-65 has a very short outer tube for the mast and when down about 7 inches of the antenna extend above the fender. 

This subjects the mast, even when down, to possible damage.   

I have always assumed the under fender lacked room for a longer tube... taking to a customer today he had sent me an antenna that the tube is about 12 inches

and I assumed it was for a later car but he said it was out of his 64 Riv.     If this is correct,  then a longer outer tube could be substituted for the short (63-65) tube and

the mast would not stick out of the fender as much.

I know it would not be stock but if you do not have a show car,  then this would eliminated the possibility of damage to the mast when down.  

I have attached a photo of an assortment of outer tubes .... the one at the bottom is correct for the 63-65

This would be fairly easy to do...the most difficult parts is unsoldering the coax connection and reattaching it. 

The other picture is a stock 63-65 antenna when down.... sorry I will try and correct the orientation of the photo

TENNA LENGTHS.jpg

DSCN0679.JPG

Hi Barney,

Do you mean to say if a longer tube was utilized and also lowering the overall assembly as compared to the factory mounting would result in a flush to fender mast?

Also, arent the masts a little later in the `60`s shorter overall? If so, could a later mast be used to get the antenna lower without making any other changes?

BTW...maybe its the pic/perspective...but the antenna in your picture looks like the black plastic bushing is much longer than the original?

Tom Mooney

Here is a sketch I put together from "good" antenna that I have worked on.   The dimensions are not "official" but

I believe they are close to correct factory intensions. 

In addition...... a photo comparison between a good original 63-65 insulator and a reproduction made by a machinist.

The last picture is dimensions taken from an original 63-65 insulator.    Other years used a very similar part but the top was not a tall. 

63-65 mast.jpg

5-17-19.jpg

Riv insulator.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Good day.

For what it's worth, this is a photo of my 64's antenna that's been like this since 1980 and no reason to believe it's not original. The black insulator is chipped a bit on this side, but the other is smooth and looks original. It doesn't appears that is has been jammed down, but maybe...??

Although far from conclusive, the second photo appears to be a copy of an original GM productions photo, and although the resolution isn't great, it certainly doesn't look like you can see much of the insulator, again, tough to tell, but is doesn't look like it's two inches high.

And I know this is a wild stretch, but if anyone has a mast that they would be willing to part with, at "fair" market value, although my pockets aren't too deep, I do appreciate the value of this likely unabtainium [sic] part. But as my mom used to say, "If you don't ask, you don't get"... The power assembly works fine, but the mast is not so fine...

Riv Antenna - 1.jpeg

MPG-64077-0001-1024x808.jpg