Oil pump gear of camshaft removal ?

ArticiferTom

The shaft is in two parts and is easily separated.  The bottom half of the shaft is part of the pump.  The top half can only be removed (at least on mine) by removing the camshaft and then removing the casting that holds the shaft/gear.  I assume that once removed you'll be able to either press the gear off the shaft or a pin/screw will be visible. I would imagine the gear would be a standard bevel gear and you could buy one or make one. 

Note that it appears to all be one piece but the crankcase top is cast aluminum and the casting that hold the shaft/gear is iron.  A simple magnet test will confirm.  

GPleWWv.jpg

CSGWuMx.jpg

Edited by Luv2Wrench (see edit history)

OK, that's good news for you guys, just removing the camshaft is all that is needed.  The gear slides onto the camshaft and is keyed.  I don't have that part handy right now but I have a picture I took about 10 years ago that (sorta) shows the gear.

7W5Zau7.jpg

2 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

Nice . Looks like it comes out from front , then . I see keyed gear . Are those babbit bearing by it ? And Does anyone have a gear ?

It does come out the front and I believe they are babbit but I don't have them close by to check.  I would think that you'd be able to find a bevel gear to replace it.  In theory I have 2 since I have 2 engines but I wouldn't want to part with the gear as that leaves one of the engines missing a key part.  If you don't find a gear let me know.  I might have what is needed to cut one, however time is a big concern for me right now and I doubt I could get to it any time soon.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dug around in my spare parts today and found a spare camshaft with the gear on it. I will dig some more as I think I may have just the gear also. I will sell the gear and camshaft as one if I don't find the gear I think I may have. Removal from the camshaft would be up to the new owner. Please let me know if you are interested.

Enjoy,

Bill Metz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well just got this pic . They got it off last night . Was slow process as engine and rad are still in vehicle . There where a center and front bearing shell bolt coming in side of engine and valves had to be lifted  also . then moved few inches so fell off . Going to pull rad and cam out to fix , they think . Can not imagine what caused ? Nothing frozen .

output.jpg.487e73efb0251fde949b92864755dd7a.jpg

Edited by ArticiferTom
Two sentences (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Luv2wrench and especially WCMetz for the gear . Was finially put in had to add some shimming . Spun in bearing with assembly lube and drill since cam needed to be removed by removing shells same as model T's . We have cam left over it is of taper front on shaft so does not match our year . See pics . If anyone needs advise . Hope to get back to it next week for start up . I'll update .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is where fiber ring gear is riveted to this side of cam drive gear . This setup has phenolic on both sides . We have gear at machine shop now , they think can water-jet some replacements . Fingers crossed .

Anyone out there has extra 1912 reversible wheel hub or whole ,Let me know . One unit is sized in damaged out of round .