65 horns not working

Brtele

My horn stopped working mid honk last week, but the relay kept clicking when depressing the horn button.

I’ve tested and am getting a good 12vdc at both horn connections when depressing the horn button.

i ran a direct hot wire to the horns and couldn’t get either horn to work with a direct 12v. 

I took one horn off and wired the connector to the battery positive and the horns threads to the battery negative - nothing.

I even cleaned up the connections real good (shiny as hell) and remounted to the car - nothing.

Could it be that both horns are shot? Is this typical?

Thanks for any help.

It happens simultaneously when the horns havnt been cycled in a long time. Built up debris on the diaphragms breaks loose and disables the diaphragm free space...or the points have built up corrosion...try wracking the horns with a rubber mallet while applying voltage...works 50 percent of the time...if they begin to sound don't apply voltage for too long or they will overheat.

Tom

• Like 1

Do this   , as Tom said   small taps on horns  ok, but then refit horns , then only connect one horn wire at a time,

you will see a small adjustment screw--bolt-- see my photo--  turn that  in with pliers  about half a turn  clockwise first,

then try  that horn  to see if it goes or  louder ,--if no , go another  half turn   then try again---,if it does not work --do the opposite,

adjust back to wear it was originally, then turn anti clock wise   ,  doing this you  will probably get then to work.

Then do the same with the other horn.

Its worked for me  many times----just got one of my factory  large trumpet horns working on my 64 Electra.

004.JPG

IMG_2119.jpg

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RIVNIK said:

if this is the cause, what are the chances of both horns failing simultaneously?

Rivnik, I should probably clarify - I don’t know if both horns were functional. It could have only been operating off 1 horn and blew its last breath under my management leaving me with 0 hornage.  I’ll dig into after the carb goes back on today. Thanks 

Edited by Brtele (see edit history)

I used Tom's procedure of tapping on the horns while applying voltage and got (1) of the horns to start operating again.  I'll continue working on the other horn and see if I can continue to make progress.  Thanks for the tips.