Gas Cap Gas Gauge Sought

hddennis

Looking for a period gas tank gas gauge for my 1917 Maxwell. I recently saw one on an unrestored Maxwell that I'm assuming was a period aftermarket accessory and am awaiting more details but thought I'd ask if anyone has one they don't know what it fits. It has a circular clock face with a revolving needle set into the cap. Cap has 1 5/8" female threads and cap is mounted on a tube roughly 1 1/2 inches diameter and approximately 14 inches long with some kind of float that rises in the tube to make the needle revolve. Photo is just to illustrate what gauge could look like.

Howard Dennis

Capture.JPG

Thanks MaxwellFox,

I've been looking for quite sometime for something I could modify with no success. I think I may have a lead on a period gauge. I've found out at least two companies made these to fit Maxwell's. One was Eugene and Tanner was another.

Howard Dennis

I had a Simplicity garden tractor once that had a gas cap with a similar design.  A great idea for a brass car.  Good luck in your quest.

Thanks Akstraw,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the one lead pans out.  Funny story lead to this search. My Maxwell is a late 1917 and has a Briggs & Stratton dash panel that did away with the previous ammeter on the left of the steering column mount dash board and replaced it with a window showing charge/off. Apparently whomever ordered my Maxwell didn't trust that and custom ordered a separate ammeter in the same place as the older version. Trouble with that was late 1917 Maxwell's used that hole to put a gas gauge connected to the cowl mounted gas tank so my Maxwell left the factory with no way to tell how much gas you had unless they supplied the old wet stick method. Having never found a stick marked for a Maxwell I started a quest to solve this problem with modern parts never knowing there was a period version until seeing one last month on an unrestored early 1917 Maxwell.

Howard Dennis   

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 10:43 PM, Akstraw said:

I had a Simplicity garden tractor once that had a gas cap with a similar design.  A great idea for a brass car.  Good luck in your quest.

Mr. Fox and / or Mr. Akstraw, I found in my files your name from my past that you were looking for a2  BD 2 BA condo for the 2022 Fall Hershey Show at BlueGreen Resort at Hershey. Are you or know of anyone interested . Text at Rfiesinger@cinci.rr.com or call 513-821-4770 Richard Fiesinger