BB manifold on SB !?

linas9

Hey guys,I have tried to install a BB exhaust manifolds(S casting) on a SB and came across one problem...it interfiers with a starter motor solenoid!Are there any diferent starter motors for small block? or maybe I can have(in some wierd way) solenoid at the bottom of the starter???Any ideas olds people???

The 307 Olds starter would barely crank my 403 and fuggedaboudit on the 455. The BB starter is somewhat larger and a good bit heavier. I think your problem is the BB is both an inch or so taller and wider. That would probably allow just enough clearance when the exhaust manifolds are used with the correct block.

When I switched from the standard 307 Olds to the 403 - that was actually an accident, I wanted a 350 and the guy who ran the salvage yard gave me the 403 by mistake - I didn't see any difference between the two sets of manifolds. The cross over pipe was the same. All three of those blocks have the same exterior dimensions, so any small block manifold should work. You probably need to find a set of small block factory manifolds which shouldn't be too hard. I'm not a big fan of headers.

The guy who did my conversion used the stock manifolds. He simply bent pipe to the same dimensions of the cross over pipe. He had to run both pipes side-by-side down the passenger side of the car (85 LeSabre) because the trans mount bracket isn't contoured on the left to allow a pipe to go past it. At the rear of the car, he went back left again and installed mufflers on both sides. I get a nice throaty sound that's within reason. It's a lot of fun to be next to some guy in a Camaro or Mustang in what appears to be a grocery getter and leave them behind me. A decent muffler shop can do that for you.

Linas9, my recollection from another thread is that you want dual exhaust on your smallblock-equipped B-body, and that you are using the big block manifold per RocketRaider as its about the only thing that will clear the steering box. If interferecne with the starter is really your only problem, then maybe splurging for one of those smaller high torque starters just might be the ticket. But me, I'd want to be pretty darned sure before spending the money that that would solve the interference! I wish you luck...sounds like a neat project.