1931 Buick 8-57 fuel pump replacement

Jerry Smith

My best recommendation is to fix or replace the original mechanical pump. 

Here is a good source:  Then and Now Automotive (then-now-auto.com)

I do use a rotary electric pump for my 38 Special just to get enough fuel for starting and to help eliminate vapor lock on hot days.

Older Buicks with updraft carbs can only handle 3-5 psi at the inlet.  Otherwise, the pressure will overcome the float valve and leak.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, for the advice and website!  FYI, I guess I should’ve mentioned that the carb is now a downdraft after having the intact flipped.

the carb is a Carter 2 barrel now.  It wants to run but is not getting enough gas.

anyway, thanks so much for your input!

blessings,

Jerry

• Thanks 1

Hi Jerry

Like Mark, I recently installed an electric "priming" pump in line to fill the carburetor when she sits more than 5-6 days.  

The pump I used was from Brattons Model "A" Parts.  It's a nice compact 6V unit and your original mechanical pump will pull through it easily.

Here's the electric pump I installed:

183732787_ScreenShot2021-09-05at11_29_57AM.png.897b7db3f5649de65bc9b4a623f80793.png

I did not use any of the enclosed rubber parts.  I flared and fit new stainless steel lines from the tank to the carburetor.

Here is the entire process of how I installed the unit and ran all the wiring:  (Just touch the arrow in the upper right corner)

• Like 1