Starter modification - 1932 Buick Series 50 with the 3.8 liter straight 8

JIM S

Hi.  Got a 1932 Buick Series 50 with the 3.8 liter straight 8.   I hate the foot start;  hard to find, clumsy to use, etc. It mechanically advances the starter shaft to engage the flywheel.  I  want to convert it to a solenoid activated shaft starter and use a key activated ignition/start switch.  Since Buick used the straight 8 up to 1953, is there a starter of later years, physically similar, which is solenoid activated to replace my mechanical starter.  Modification of the existing starter seems futile.   Thanks for the help.    JIM

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Starter modification - 1932 Buick Series 50 with the 3.8 liter straight 8
  • 4 months later...
On 8/27/2021 at 9:12 PM, JIM S said:

Hi.  Got a 1932 Buick Series 50 with the 3.8 liter straight 8.   I hate the foot start;  hard to find, clumsy to use, etc. It mechanically advances the starter shaft to engage the flywheel.  I  want to convert it to a solenoid activated shaft starter and use a key activated ignition/start switch.  Since Buick used the straight 8 up to 1953, is there a starter of later years, physically similar, which is solenoid activated to replace my mechanical starter.  Modification of the existing starter seems futile.   Thanks for the help.    JIM

The 1933 Buicks had a starter button in the dash instead of the floors as the 1932 Buicks

Willis