An interesting driving day...

TTR

Had an opportunity to (test) drive 4 quite different vintage cars, back to back, same route (20+ miles with each). 

- '32 Plymouth PB Roadster (period correct Hot Rod with early '50s running gear and 50K+ miles since built 30+ years ago).

- '40 Mercury Sedan (mildly modified '80s period Street Rod with SBC and 1100 miles since built 35+ years ago).

- '72 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 (stock with 20K miles since new). 

- '76 Cadillac Eldorado convertible (stock with 40K miles since new). 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• TTR changed the title to An interesting driving day...
9 hours ago, RansomEli said:

And...?

... well, other than just reflecting how different from each other (older vintage) cars can be, not much else to comment right now.

Oh, I also drove 2 other, modern "appliances", though not the same distance or route, but find them both about as interesting as an empty cardboard box, so won't bother mentioning specifics of either.

So, which would be your choice to take on a 3-4 hour tour in the country? Back roads, stopping whenever you felt like it, having a nice lunch?

Not trying to cause any trouble, but with the wide variety of drives you've got to give us some personal opinions on each car's driving personality.

Can I take a few guesses?

• The hot rods were nice but had bumpy rides. Not quite sorted together enough for a long ride
  • The Ferrari was great but hard to drive slowly. Heavy at low speeds and really wanted to cruise at 90mph.
  • The Eldorado convertible with the top down was the perfect country cruiser

9 hours ago, RansomEli said:

So, which would be your choice to take on a 3-4 hour tour in the country? Back roads, stopping whenever you felt like it, having a nice lunch?

If you visit the discussion/thread titled “Long distance driving/traveling with vintage cars”, my preference should become clear. 😉

While I like the 365 GTB/4 and don’t think it’s hard to drive at speeds below 90 or even 45, it’s really designed/intended for highway cruising/touring well above 120, so not very practical/useful around here. 😳

The Eldorado is just too “floaty” for my taste, especially on high speed countryside drive.

It seems more appropriate for city suburbia cruising. 🤔

And for the Mercury… …well, it’s chassis and undercarriage is basically just prewar Ford … …and having an SBC engine is not going to add anything or change it. 😜

Actually I’m heading out for another few day, 1000+ mile road trip (2-4 hr jaunts, back roads, roadside breaks/lunches/stops whenever…) in my favorite ride, starting first thing tomorrow morning…

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TTR said:

Actually I’m heading out for another few day, 1000+ mile road trip (2-4 hr jaunts, back roads, roadside breaks/lunches/stops whenever…) in my favorite ride, starting first thing tomorrow morning…

There ya go!!  Bragging and rubbing it in!🤪.

Enjoy.

Ben

• Haha 1

Sorry about that Ben, but life’s too short to travel in boring vehicles, especially whenever there’s a slightest opportunity to make the journey being as important or interesting  as (or more than) the destination. 😉