1940 LC radiator fitment problem

mdmarkin

I wonder if I can get a bit of advice.  I have a '40 LC and I have recently re-installed the v-12 engine. Now I am trying to fit the radiator in place and I find that I do not have enough clearance  when bringing it in over the top of the engine.  The fan blades are in the way.  I am not sure if I remove the fan blades, that there will be enough room in there to re-install them after the radiator is installed.   To add to my bewilderment, I re-installed the fan blades after repainting them about 6 years ago while the engine was on a stand and I can not remember how I did it....that must have something to do with my hair getting whiter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, you have to remove the fan blade to get the clearance you need to get the radiator in or out of the vehicle.  There are small bolts that hold the fan to the vibration damper on the front of the engine that have to be removed.  You need the radiator back in the vehicle first and then attach the fan unit.  And no, it's not that easy, but what on these engines is easy?   If you had the hood removed and the engine on a hoist you could just drop it in fan attached if you have such a setup with the radiator already installed.  I also like to cover the radiator core with some cardboard panels so I don't damage the core while working on the fan installation.  Luckily you don't have to do all of this except every 100 years!   

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I located the bolts that you referred to. Actually, I had messed with them during the process of trying to figure this out, but thought that they were related to the damper and not the fan.  I have removed the 3 bolts and then roughly pulled the fan off.  Once the bolts  were off, it only took me 3 minutes to remove the fan blades. Thank you.  Next up is the install. I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...