No Reserve: 1970 AMC AMX 390 4-Speed on BAT

I like this car so much I bid it up to 30k.   I expect it to go for a lot more.   It ticks a lot of boxes and I even think the color is ok.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-amc-amx-4/

This 1970 AMC AMX is finished in Golden Lime Metallic over a black vinyl interior and is powered by a 390ci V8 paired with a four-speed manual transmission and a limited-slip differential. Equipment includes 14″ wheels, power-assisted front disc brakes, power steering, air-adjustable rear shocks, air conditioning, and an AM radio. The car is said to have been delivered new to Bob’s Rambler in Long Island, New York, and was acquired by the seller in January 2021, reportedly from the family of the original owner. Recent service includes installation of a PerTronix electronic ignition, conversion of the air-conditioning system to R143a refrigerant, and replacement of the vacuum advance diaphragm, ignition coil, spark plugs, and spark plug wires. This AMX is now offered by the seller with service records and a clean California title.

1970_amc_amx_162585412059cdab7AMX2.jpg

16231062406e2509b984AMX-E2-scaled.jpg

• Like 5

Yes, the color is cool. I don't know why, but it just strikes me as an original looking color that works well on that car. I could see it NOT working on a lot of other cars though. I'm really liking the old AMC muscle cars right now. Sorry you were outbid, alsancle. Maybe a really cool Javelin will come your way.

I can't remember if I've asked about this or not, but I know I've wondered about it for a while: Any theories on why I see so many AMX's from this era on ebay and CL but not many Javelins? It was my impression that Javelins outsold AMX's by a wide margin back when they were new.

7 hours ago, JamesR said:

Yes, the color is cool. I don't know why, but it just strikes me as an original looking color that works well on that car. I could see it NOT working on a lot of other cars though. I'm really liking the old AMC muscle cars right now. Sorry you were outbid, alsancle. Maybe a really cool Javelin will come your way.

I can't remember if I've asked about this or not, but I know I've wondered about it for a while: Any theories on why I see so many AMX's from this era on ebay and CL but not many Javelins? It was my impression that Javelins outsold AMX's by a wide margin back when they were new.

I can answer that question!    It is the "Corvette" rule.   Nobody ever just tosses a Corvette unless they have to.  The AMX would trickle down and there was always someone to save it before the roll back trip to the junk yard.   The Javelin didn't have the same cache.

I don't mind that I got outbid.  I need another car like a hole in the head,  but I really like this one.    As a mostly original car it sits in narrow part of the market that can be valuable.    With the option lists that it has, "Go Pack", stick, bubble hood, I expect it to go past 40k.

• Like 1

So looking at the BAT sales history for AMX this car is already in rare territory.   There are 29 data points,  where dark circles represents a sale.   You need to look at each car to understand the price.   This is the high water mark car sold at 45K also a 390 Stick car in green oddly enough :

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-amc-amx-10/

160271755498764da20201010_135358-scaled.

AMX-BAT-Results.jpg

It's at $35,000 with 6 days to go.  

My general rule is that BAT cars end up at a price 2X the amount at the beginning of the last day of bidding.

If this holds true then the AMX will end up a $70K+ car.  We'll see what happens.

It's the best-looking AMX I've seen.

Edited by RansomEli (see edit history)