How hard is it to repair and / or get parts for these?

I'm thinking of getting a new cruiser for myself in the next half-year-year. I've always liked these cars, but was scared off by the reputation that they are hard to keep on the road. If anyone who has one that they actually drive - not keep as a garage queen - I'd appreciate hearing your honest thoughts on them. Thanks for reading this!

1 hour ago, jacks1312 said:

I'm thinking of getting a new cruiser for myself in the next half-year-year. I've always liked these cars, but was scared off by the reputation that they are hard to keep on the road. If anyone who has one that they actually drive - not keep as a garage queen - I'd appreciate hearing your honest thoughts on them. Thanks for reading this!

Hi Jacks, NO, NO I’m not trying to hijack your plane Jack!
Yes, I have an ‘89 TC that I actually drive, it has nearly 300,000 miles on the odometer, OK, OK only 293 thousand.

BUT, I have been a Chrysler product mechanic since 1959. So I can maintain and repair my TC. Also, I have made some modifications to my TC like removing the Teves ABS brake system and converted it to a 5 speed manual transaxle.

FF7A7B47-95E9-4FA3-8FFC-33F41466AEC2.jpeg.4857978910da340304da8ce494940744.jpeg

Here is the most recent photo. I love driving it and my hope has been to drive it to attend the TCA Owners meet in September In MIssouri. Without getting the experimental COVID-19 “SHOT” and the apparent mandate by the government, that’s getting to be more questionable.

If you are a serious buyer, be sure to buy a well maintained TC. There are many owners in the TCA Members club that can also attest to the quality of these cars.

8 hours ago, jacks1312 said:

1989 Chrysler TC Maserati. Yellow exterior Ginger Interior.. Seats are in very good shape. No rips tears or worn areas. Carpet in good condition. Clean original floor mats no stains. New A/C Compressor Blows cold Good tires. 3 speed Automatic Trans. 4 Cylinder Turbo engine. All glass is good. All electrical switches work. After market radio installed. Have the original. New car cover.  Professional restoriation of brake system with all new parts. No damage to dash. Car does not start. Needs a new head gasket (ncluded and new head bolts)  Original keys. All lights work. No leaks. Some new parts in included. Make me an offer. Car is in Jacksonville. Florida.   email dongtam69@hotmail for more information.   Thanks..

7 hours ago, jacks1312 said:

Thank you! The Teves brake system... unless I am mistaken the Buick Reattas prior to '91 used it. And I've never heard anything good about it. Something to think about.

Good morning jacks1312, The Teves system was a good, safe and dependable system when manufactures 30 years ago. The main problem today is not the Teves system, but the LACK OF MAINTENANCE by owners.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture which over the years corrodes the Hydraulic Assembly, (Master cylinder), if not flushed and replaced with new fluid.

The other is the Accumulator which MUST be replaced from time to time, at least every 10 years. Most people don't know that and never do, until there is a failure. 

You mention "Getting yourself a new cruiser".  If you are young and like to 'tinker' with cars, and are a decent mechanic, you can have a lot of fun with a car such as this. I have had to do the maintenance and repairs on my TC, replacing the head gasket, timing belt and such 2 times while owning the car. Just remember an '89 is 33 years old. That is a long time for any car.  

We would be pleased to have you as a member in the TCA Owners Club and much assistance is available there.

• Like 2

Jacks, moved to Florida from Oregon 4 years ago. Brought my '64 Monza conv. with me thinking in Fl. I would never have to put the top up again. WRONG. Decided I needed a car with air and looked into a TC as I admired one in Or. Got a '90 black w/ ginger and a V6. It's my daily driver and except for finding someone to fix my driver's power seat no unsolvable issues. Lots of comments on it. Just turned 55000 orig. miles. Go for it.