Folding Windshield Questions

Hey All, Has anyone had any experience in removing and replacing the glass in the early folding windshield frames? I've looked at a few pictures of earlier Chrysler's with folding windshields and it appears they mostly use the same engineering as on the Plymouths. I'm tinkering with a PB, and what I would like to know is how to open up the frame so I can replace the rubber weather-strips and the glass with safety glass. 

It appears that the nut with the washer attached has an indent that locks it in place? (circled with red in the second picture) Would I pry up the washer to allow the indent to clear thus allowing removal of the nut/washer assembly???.. Also, what does that nut/washer assembly screw onto? Is there a stud or something inside the frame?

I am also looking for a few bits for the pivot mounting, I require two of the pivot blocks and the outer chrome washer and screw... I have enough of these items to mount one side only. I have pictures of needed items if required.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Cheers!

Dave

STAY SAFE!

Windshield L pivot with screw.jpg

Windshield R pivot with no screw marked.jpg

Hi there,

I think you'll find that the item that you refer to as the nut is actually a bolt head that is screwed into a 90 degree steel bracket that is inside of the frame at the top, this is how the pivot mounting is held in place, once you unscrew that bolt (if there's another one on the other side you'll have to undo that one too) and when both bolts are out the pivot mounts can come off and you can gently tap the top frame away the the rest of the frame , just make sure to do both sides evenly you don't want to twist or bend the frame     

Edited by Sasha39 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 7/9/2021 at 5:27 AM, Sasha39 said:

Hi there,

I think you'll find that the item that you refer to as the nut is actually a bolt head that is screwed into a 90 degree steel bracket that is inside of the frame at the top, this is how the pivot mounting is held in place, once you unscrew that bolt (if there's another one on the other side you'll have to undo that one too) and when both bolts are out the pivot mounts can come off and you can gently tap the top frame away the the rest of the frame , just make sure to do both sides evenly you don't want to twist or bend the frame     

Thank You Sasha39 for taking the time to respond, ponder and respond again... Yes, I see it as a bolt, Is it hollow all the way through? if so, are they prone to twist off? 

Just want to ensure that while I'm tinkering I'm pulling in the right direction, left hand threads? Would it be beneficial to bend the washer where the indent is, to try and lessen the friction between the bolt and the pivot mount?  I've tried loosening the bolts using a six point socket on a 9" 3/8 ratchet but no movement yet.

One more question for now, Is the bracket inside the frame attached to the frame or is it just wedged in between the frames.

Thanking in advance,

Dave

STAY SAFE!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words and those pictures certainly spoke volumes, they clearly gave me the proper direction. Thanks Sasha39.

I heeded the earlier "Good luck" and soaked the whole windshield in citric acid for a few days before trying to remove the bolts. The bolts came out without too much work and no incident. As recommended, a few stern alternative taps with a block of hardwood and the top bar slid out and I was able to remove the glass. I then re-soaked the frame in the acid for a few more days. It has from what I've read the usual issues around the bottom corners but over all it still is solid considering it's 89 years old,  I've taken the frame to my metal guy and he's going to repair the lower corners.

I'm not sure if Chrysler had the same type of seals but would anyone have or know the profile of the proper rubber seal that slides into the outside edge of the frame? I've seen a few at local shows on different makes but none appear to fit proper.

I require a few items which are pictured here, I'm sure the screw isn't a big issue but I'd like to find the proper washer, oh, and the pivot blocks I require two. 

Thanking in advance!

Dave

STAY SAFE!

Windshield frame coming apart.jpg

Windshield L top disassembled.jpg

Windshield parts required.jpg

• Like 2

Here is an exploded view of my parts when I took my mechanism apart recently. I discovered to my horror that the windshield frame and mechanism is very exposed to rust and on reassembly I covered as much as possible in "cavity-antirust fluid".

20210716_201935.jpg.7a0968126568c837bf2bd0d63d02e791.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Narve N said:

Here is an exploded view of my parts when I took my mechanism apart recently. I discovered to my horror that the windshield frame and mechanism is very exposed to rust and on reassembly I covered as much as possible in "cavity-antirust fluid".

20210716_201935.jpg.7a0968126568c837bf2bd0d63d02e791.jpg

Thank you for posting a picture of your hardware, Are these extras? I'm interested in the two pivot blocks if they are available. The screw and chrome washers appear different from the ones I removed, what model are these parts from? 

Thanking in advance,

Dave

STAY SAFE!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 7:03 AM, Narve N said:

Everything is for my 1929 Chrysler Series 65 and it is now back on the car. No extras.

Ok Thanks!... while reading the Plymouth parts book I see that the the earlier Plymouth models have different parts listed, so most likely similar to yours. How late did Chrysler have the folding windshield?.. from what I understand 1932 was the last for Plymouth.

I picked up my frame from my metal guy, he noticed that the left bolt bracket was cast brass and the right one was cast iron....Is that normal?... he was also amused at the profile of the frame... it appears to be drawn from one piece and then formed to the shape of the cowl...

I'm still in need of a pair of locking blocks and the lock/finished washer... Has anyone had to have these blocks made? I was considering trying nylon... any thoughts on this?...... I was able to find a screw that will work.

Thanking in advance,

Dave

STAY SAFE!

Windshield frame repaired.jpg

Windshield formation.jpg

Windshield frame end parts .jpg

Windshield parts required 2.jpg