Maxwell info needed, axle-to-axle length, or rim

Clifford

Hi. The attached is my great-great grandparents in what I think is a 1917 Maxwell (model?). This photo has been PhotoShop colorized to make a cardboard cut-out prop to use at a family reunion. Descendants can all "take a ride" by standing behind the cut-out. Problem... what size to print. I have been told from front axle to rear axle would be 8.5 feet, and also that the rims would be 30" edge to edge. These measurements would help. Please confirm if right or wrong. Different models might have different lengths, etc. (?) It about $900 to print this baby (it's the size of a car!), so I do not want it way to small or too big. If you can help nail down the model and any measurements, that would be great. Note: The radiator emblem has an M in case it's too small to see. Thanks! Dan Clifford

Maxwell, small.png

Edited by Clifford
Misspellings (see edit history)

• Clifford changed the title to Maxwell info needed, axle-to-axle length, or rim

Looks like a Maxwell Model 25.  If so, I believe the wheelbase (distance from center of front hub to center of rear hub) would have been 103 inches.

This model carried 30x3 1/2 tires. That obsolete marking system starts with the outside diameter of the tire ( not the rim). The smaller number is the tire size, thus 30 minus 3 1/2 on one side and 3 1/2 on the other side leaves 23" as the rim size. In this drawing you will see that the rim size is not the outside diameter of the rim ( edge to edge) as the rim has a flanges on it to keep the tire from coming off. Modern rims are the same, the actual rim size ( inside diameter of the tire) will be about 1 1/2" less than the maximum outside diameter of the rim. A reasonably close place for you to measure the 23" would be the outside of the wood wheel felloe ( inside of the white/silver painted rim).

Hope this makes sense and is helpful.

rim measuring.jpg