36 Paint code

vette-kid

Need a little help with a paint code mystery.   We had Anaya thought that our 36 P2 was originally gunmetal grey and then repainted by my father in the early 70s with the lighter palm beach grey.   It's possible that he actually ordered gunmetal grey and they sent him the latter gunmetal used on dodge in 41(I think that's right?).  However, the body number tag shows 805, which correlates to 36 dodge "mercury".  That color is lighter, I believe, that the color visible on the cars door jambs, firewall, etc.  Meaning if that was the original color, someone did a VERY high end job of repainting it to the darker grey. 

Now it really isn't critical to refinishing the car as in not going to paint it for a while anyway.   I'm just trying to learn the cars history a bit and it's fun to try and decipher it.   Any insight as to what might be going on here is appreciated.   You can see the two colors that are on the car now and the paint code clearly as 805.

20210531_072839.jpg

20210531_072849.jpg

The body number tag is a curiosity to me as none of my '36 Dodges had a tag like that. As far as the color, the paint on the cowl looks to be Dodge Gunmetal or Plymouth Gunmetal. The 805 is the code for Mercury Metallic  Poly, which has a more greenish blue tint. I see that  that Plymouth offered one other gray for 1936 , Palm Beach Gray, that is more of a tan shade. It can be hard to determine actual colors as many of the old color charts are no longer accurate and there were some colors that were only used for a short period and where only available in certain regions. It appears that the repaint color may have just been a color that your father liked at the time. Personally, I don't care for the darker gray shade. I also noticed that the firewall on your car is body color. On all 3 of my Dodges, the firewall face was painted black with the cowling in body color! Good luck in your search!

That is interesting that your tags are different.   Dad distinctly remembers that the color they got wasn't what they thought as they were wanting to match the color on it.   But they decided to roll with it anyway.   That's what led me to believe the different shade was just the other Plymouth grey.  I have seen other examples that appear to be a light grey color, although this website looks more tan as you say.   

I think I may go to the local APS and see if I can get a spray out of the suspected candidates.   If it's mercury, I wander if the ordinal is just so faded that it appears dark grey?  

He also recalls light green pinstripes, which would correlate, I believe, to the gunmetal color (spring green stripes).

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Chrysler&con=m&page=14&rows=50

Looking a little more into this and I'm beginning to think something isn't right here.   There is NO evidence of mercury metallic ANYWHERE on the car.   We have the door cards off, dark grey; firewall, dark grey; under the tail light stands, dark grey.   I think it's unlikely that someone did that high level of color change in the mid 60s or earlier unless it was a custom hot rod or something.   

My paint supply guy is doing some digging with PPG to see if he can get these colors so I can see them and decide... Plymouth gunmetal, mercury metallic, palm beach grey and spring green#2 (dad remembers the car having light green pinstripes on the side and wheels) which would correlate to gunmetal grey. 

What I can't understand, is if the car was never mercury metallic, how did it end up with abs 805 code on the body tag?

Most, if not all, the Dodge tags are oval like the patent plate and the numbers aren't similar to Dodge body numbers. My car was similar, having one color code marked in the body but having a different color on the body! probably will never know what happened. My one car is a local car but the dealer no longer has any paperwork going back that far to compare. All evidence points to the Gunmetal as being the original color.

Thanks for that bit of info, it helps unravel the mystery.   I agree, the evidence suggests gunmetal as the original color.   The tag and paint code are still a mystery.  I'd love to figure out out, but it may just remain a mystery. 

The car will need repainted at some point and in a little torn on the colors.   I always remember the light grey, dad painted it before I was born.   But it wasn't really their intention to change the color at the time.     I think gunmetal with the green stripes could look pretty nice.   If I were picking a color for myself it would be the green or blue, but I dint want to go that route do to complexity and cost.   Gunmetal would be easier because the firewall and door jambs,etc are already that color.   I'm ok with non original combo, like gunmetal body with light grey fenders, I just want to find a good picture or have someone photoshop it for me to see what it looks like.