Brake light switch - '41 Special Series A

First Buick

Checking the car over this morning and discovered the brake lights were not working.  Working fine a few days ago.  I suspect the brake light switch has gone bad.  I looked in the Service Manual and a restoration manual but neither gives the exact location of it.  I can not crawl around under a car very easily so I was wondering if anyone can tell me the exact location of the brake light switch on a 1941 Special coupe, Series A.  A picture or two would help but I do understand just an  explanation of where it is.  The manual shows it separate from the master cylinder.  Thanks.

Open the hood on the driver’s side. You will see the steering column coming out at the bottom of the firewall. Follow it towards the steering gear box. About 3/4 the way to the steering box you will notice the frame below and attached to it is a sensor with brake lines coming out of it on the bottom and two wires coming out the top. Those two wires must be plugged in tightly.

0BB07B90-2F05-491F-8A9E-1DC53F40262D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much.  After I made my posting, I searched old forums and found one that identified the placement of the brake light switch in a '55 as your photo shows.  I looked in my car and found it there.  I guess Buick put it there for some time.  In the '50's, I worked in service stations and have always taken care of my own cars but don't remember ever seeing one there.  They were usually on the master cylinder.  Anyhow, I thank you for taking the time to help me out.  I by-passed the switch and the brake lights came on so now I will have to figure out if it is just the corrosion on the switch causing the problem or that the switch is faulty.  I ordered a new one from Rockauto and it will be here Tuesday so the problem will be fixed for sure by then.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

Not just you. In my opinion Teflon tape should not be allowed within 500 yards of any location where auto repair is taking place.

First Buick: I don't think you should need Teflon for that at all, but if you want it, Teflon pipe dope is a much better choice. Don't overdo it, just a smidge on the threads. You don't want foreign material of any sort making it's way into the brake system.

I was thinking along the same lines.  I don't recall ever using anything on these switches, but since teflon tape had not yet been invented when I was changing them, I was just curious to see if that is something that is done these days.  Thanks for the advice.