1st generation antenna insulator

RivNut

My grandson has a year end assignment for one of his high school classes in which he's to make a 3D printed item that he could market.  I suggested that he print the plastic insulator that goes around the antenna shaft to separate it from the bezel which sits in the fender.  Wouldn't you know it; I cannot find one in all my boxes of parts.  I have the antenna and the bezel and can measure diameters, both ID and OD from those  What I cannot measure is how much of the insulator sticks up above the bezel.  Could someone be so kind as to measure theirs for me and post a close up picture so he can look at the insulator in place and have an idea as to what I'm talking about?  Thanks in advance.

Ed

Hi Ed - I think in a recent post of mine Bill posted this photo showing that the plastic insulator sticks up 1" from the top of the fender bezel.

The insulator is longer than 1" as it needs to fit down the mast inside the fender bezel. 

Perhaps someone will send you an original so it can be copied.  I'll be one of your grandson's first customers! 

Let us know how this project evolves.

image.png.435f774f63d3d720694a9be5b42befcc.png

Alex,

I just read this and called my grandson.  He has a couple of prototypes made and I’ll see him on Thursday to tell him which one I think is best.  He can then “print” a few.  I’ll keep everyone posted.

Ed

• Like 1

@65VerdeGS

I went over to my grandson’s today and looked at his prototype. It’s very nice. He needs to open up the hole for the antenna a hair and increase the overall diameter a hair so it fits snugly in the bezel..  It may take us a couple of days to print the next one. Tomorrow is his last day of school so he can work on the file, but I need to contact my stepson and see if we can use his 3D printer.

Wow - exciting to hear that progress is being made!

Thanks Ed for keeping us informed, and for incenting your grandson to undertake this project.

Can you post pics of the prototype?

3 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Wow - exciting to hear that progress is being made!

Thanks Ed for keeping us informed, and for incenting your grandson to undertake this project.

Can you post pics of the prototype?

I didn’t take any photos.🙁. You wouldn’t have liked them anyway; he did the prototypes in white plastic.  My stepson is not jumping on the bandwagon as I’d hoped.  I need to get his mom on his case.  Stay tuned and DO NOT give up hope.