studebaker 259 v8 problems

studejoe

new to the form. I have a stude 259 v8 that I can not figure out what is wrong. On a flat it runs good but climbing a hill it struggles. What I have done so far is a rebuilt carb, reset timing, adjusted the valve lash. The electricals are good because a friend put it on a scope and everything checked out good. When I put it on a vacuum gauge I get 15 hg and the needle holds steady which puzzles me because last year I was at 19hg. When I did the valve lash adjustment #5, #7 and #4 rocker arms were tight to the point of stuck. but managed to get them loose and adjusted them. After the adjust the it had more power but still struggled on hills. Any advice would be appreciated

Could be:  plugged Muffler,  Running out of fuel when working.( Plugged filter, bad fuel pump,)  Not likely ignition unless timing is badly late. 

When you say it struggles, is it missing and bucking, or just no pep?

• Like 1

I suspect it's not getting enough fuel, having said that, Could be ignition. Start by pulling fuel line from carb and place end in a gallon jug. Crank the engine a few rounds and see what the volume is. 

if it is squirting a good shot out the pipe  check the pressure. Most vacuum gages have a pressure side fir this. Should have at least 4 lbs pressure. 

If quantity and pressure are ok and you say the carb us rebuilt, then move on to ignition problems.   Check points for gap and condition,  if Bad THEN try replacing points and condenser. 

Worst case... Timing chain has jumped, but let's not go there yet. 

I am going to pull the fuel filter in the AM then I will test the pump. As for the ignition A friend put it in his scope and all was good.I guess the thing that really puzzles me is the vacuum gauge reading of 15hg because last summer it was at 18-19hg's and I did not drive that much last year. I a, worried that something is going on with the engine and I do not know what.

You mat want to approach your problem a little more systematically, Studejoe.

Heres a link to a problem that took some serious diagnosis:

I would be rechecking your valve lash adjustments, too loose is better than too tight. An old saying in the business is "a clacking valve is a happy valve". Your low vacuum numbers kind of point that way.

If you don't already have one a Motor's Manual for your year could be a lot of help.

Also you may find a more Stude-focused audience  here: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/

Your 259 should have more than enough power on the roads, my 55 President (a ~60k mile car) has given me many miles of road traavel.

Good luck.

Problem  solved, reset the float on the carb and no bucking. I think that after adjusting the valves and loosening the 3 that were tight did the trick, maybe they needed to reseat themselves because I did a vac test and the reading came up to 18hg. Just adjusting the float would not have effected the vacuum reading. Thanks for the help.

• Like 2