Buick Accessories

Chuck Griffin

Spotlights were a common accessory of the period.  A right side spotlight is less common, but not that unusual.  The right side spotlight will likely have mounting base that is unique to the right side.  The correct spotlight for a GM car of the period is the Guide S-16.  The S-16 spotlight has a cap over the bulb that will be marked as "Guide" or "GM".  The cap marked as GM is more desirable.  The Guide spotlight right side base has a casting number of 5936476.

Guide spotlights sold through Wards, Sears, etc.  are made by BLC (Brown-Lipe-Chapin), a GM division.  The BLC lights are the same as the Guide lights, except that they have light tan plastic parts and a different bulb cap; the Guide spotlights have ivory colored plastic parts.  BLC lights may also have been dealer installed, rather than the Guide spotlights.

• Like 2

My '41 has a Unity spotlight on the driver's side that was on the car when I bought it.  It was not working, but I was able to rebuild it so it that it now works fine.  From what I have read, the Unity lights are period correct since (according to their website), they have been manufactured since the '40's.  I think they were an alternative after-market accessory to the GM Guide line of spotlights and foglights.  You can read more about their vintage line (which they still offer) here:

https://www.unityusa.com/Vintage-Classic-Lights_c_129.html

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 2