1934 Lagonda Rapier (again)

Hello,

It is some time since I last took you down the Lagonda Rapier path.

After a lifetime devoted to Pre-war cars I think that it is now about time I discussed my 1934 Lagonda Rapier. Probably 1934 was not an ideal time for a struggling "Up Market" British car manufacturer to introduce a completely new model. Perhaps it was thought at the time that the market was ready for a new smaller model. But then the marketing people thought that It may be a good idea to leave it to the buyer to decide what style of body they would like on their new car. This could then be built exactly to the customers wishes.

As a Result it is safe to say that of the under 500 chassis built, no two would be exactly the same
As time has passed this has meant that with each subsequent  change of ownership the cars became more individual. 

My own car is still known by the initial letters of its first (UK) registration number KG 5663 known among friends simply as KG.

It is thought to have started life as a Fixed head  (hard-top) Coupe. Towards the end of WW2 (the late 1940s) It passed into the ownership of a "lady" Aero-engineer  She decided to turn KG into a "Sports Racing car" removing the coupe body and replacing it with a very basic "sports-racing body.

This was subject to two or three changes while retaining it's "Sports-racing ethos". This state of affairs lasted until 1976 when I bought KG as an incomplete, down at heel "project".

It was stripped down to a bare chassis, in fact even this was dismantled down to its most basic components. That was the starting point of what has become a life changing experience for me. Almost everything I do today in some way is influenced by KG.

Today for the first time in a long I have taken the time to take a series of photographs, much in the same vein as if I was about to sell the car. The only thing is, KG is not and never will be during the remainder of my life.

I hope that you enjoy looking at them. Please do not be afraid to ask any questions you may have about the car.

DSCN7157.jpg

DSCN7159.jpg

DSCN7160.jpg

DSCN7161.jpg

DSCN7162.jpg

DSCN7163.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There are just four more photographs.  These show; one of the front brake drums.  The gear selector. The "fly-off" hand brake lever and the foot pedal arrangement with the accellerator in the centre, 

DSCN7167.thumb.jpg.b2e3655c9fcd6f30571ad79867d67e77.jpgDSCN7164.thumb.jpg.4432e244b46dc6bb728589dd400b77f9.jpgDSCN7165.thumb.jpg.d2be5a4da2bb707542c9c62913139fbd.jpgDSCN7166.thumb.jpg.f2c9b16ae4ecffe2f86e4f42c22bee00.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2