Antique Jack Identification Help

ARUCKEY

Looking for Info on this 1921 Harper Lift. A friend restored it and cannot figure out how it works. Is it air or hydraulic. Has a folding handle. On the far end is a pump hand pump inside the handle. He was told it was a truck jack. Is about 14-16" tall and has a round leather seal inside the cylinder.  Thanks Al Ruckey Detroit

IMG_6115.JPG

IMG_6118.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARUCKEY said:

Looking for Info on this 1921 Harper Lift. A friend restored it and cannot figure out how it works. Is it air or hydraulic. Has a folding handle. On the far end is a pump hand pump inside the handle. He was told it was a truck jack. Is about 14-16" tall and has a round leather seal inside the cylinder.  Thanks Al Ruckey Detroit

IMG_6115.JPG

IMG_6118.JPG

Hi Al,

According to the patent website it's called a Hydrostatic Jack

Patent # 1409441

Review this  link  for the description of how the item works.

Hydrostatic jack (freepatentsonline.com)

image.png.77c9b32c2f9e1a22fc3bc09d98e7e8c5.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Wow, that was a very quick reply. Yes, this looks very much like the one in the photo I sent. However, this is not patent number on it.  The one my friend has has a different handle the the patent sketch you sent. This handle shows a check valve system.  Now that you provided the patent number I'm going to search near the same number. thanks for the info 30 Dodge Panel.

48 minutes ago, ARUCKEY said:

Wow, that was a very quick reply. Yes, this looks very much like the one in the photo I sent. However, this is not patent number on it.  The one my friend has has a different handle the the patent sketch you sent. This handle shows a check valve system.  Now that you provided the patent number I'm going to search near the same number. thanks for the info 30 Dodge Panel.

This is probably the correct one.
Regards
Dave

Jack (freepatentsonline.com)

image.png.207edf6715134dba39d581f2828dc6cf.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Yes, this is the exact one that he has.  This is outstanding.  The owner is 95 years old and worked in his fathers repair shop when he was 15 or 18 years old.  Took it home after his father closed the garage. Has had it for many years and just recently restored it. But, never new exactly how it worked or the history. You have just made an older man a very happy person!  Can wait to bring this over to him ! Obviously at 95, he's not into computer searches .  Once again the "Forums" come thru.  Thanks  Al Ruckey  Detroit

• Like 1