Side draft distributor tower problem

castillo49

Hi Everyone,

My question is "on mounting a distributor tower to block."   Background: 1933 Olympic Coupe - side draft.  On mounting the tower back, there is a large gap between the tower base and the block.  The gasket I received in a kit is paper thin, not nearly enough to close gap if tighten (see pictures).  I also noticed the oil pump shaft has 2 washers.  If I remove washer #2, tower sits better.  But was the washer put there for a reason awhile back.  Without the second washer, gears meet more in middle.  But why was it there in first place.  Also, it seems different than the first, floating brass washer.

What is the "set-up" for the oil pump shaft into block ... 1 washer or 2.  And does the "distributor tower to block" require a thick gasket?  Any diagrams on the correct set-up or pictures would be greatly appreciated. 

As always, Thanks

Frank In California

tower 203022021.jpg

tower 103022021.jpg

tower 403022021.jpg

tower 303022021.jpg

Mike, I removed washer #2.  Tower now fits well with thin gasket ... as it should.  Running chassis is now restored and complete ready for the next step, the body.   As always, thanks Mike for the advice and information.

Frank In California