1949 Oldsmobile 88 Station Wagon Woodie

dcaddick

I got this far and did not have enough experience or template to figure out the back of the car. Off it goes to Ron Heiden.

I have built a 1950 Ford, 1949 Ford, 1931 Ford and am currently building 1949 Mercury Woodies. This car is a whole other level of woodworking

20200923_112446.jpg

Thank you for posting this thread. Very fascinating. I always wondered about the wood on this Oldsmobile. The wood is actually structural and there is more wood in the doors than shows ion the outside. It is not like the wood on a 1949 Ford which does not hold anything up. You restored the engine. Is the car drivable yet? 

• Like 1

Thank you both for commenting. I have wanted one of these cars for a very long time. I had tin woodies, then Ford 49 and 50 woodies, 31 Ford and a 49 Mercury woodie that I have not finished the wood on. But I was always looking for the 1949 Olds88 Wagon. I didn't plan on one in such bad shape but at was mostly complete, except for the pile of fire wood that came with it.

Your car rocks. I as well did not know that the wood was structural. You certainly can shape wood and the work is beautiful. Great work and thanks for posting your images!

It's nice to see woodies are not that common like yours and Tom Boehm's LaSalle. I'll bet getting those patterns was a bitch. 

Did you have to use a hand held router, rather than a table mounted bit, to do the work on those corner pieces? I'll bet those finger joints there took a few tries as well. 

Edited by blind pew (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...