Help me figure out engine/transmission!

Fednander

I bought a house from an old dragster guy. In the barn I found an old engine and transmission. First and foremost, I am not a car guy. I looking to sell it since I have no need for it. Can you all help me figure out what it is and how much I could get out of it?? Thanks in advance!

D07C69AE-E236-4227-9EF1-28AA996BCD2C.jpeg

BDF402BA-0505-4008-9069-C323C65137FA.jpeg

Engine is a common 70's era Chevrolet 350 used in many cars and pickup trucks. Stamped numbers on the front, just below the passenger side cylinder head can determine its original use and if there's any more than normal value. Transmission is also Chevrolet, Turbo 350. Again very common. $75-$150 as a rebuildable core.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

The 3970010 Chevy block first made its appearance in model year 1969, as I recall, and went on to live for many years. If you look on the same cast flange where the "3970010" raised letters appear, near the top-center of the back of the block, you'll likely find a casting date code, which is the best way to determine the year of the block. Look for two impressions of screw heads in the cast iron, with 4 or 5 alpha-numeric characters in between. Example, you might find something like: "F1673." Since "F" is the sixth character of the alphabet, you know that the block was cast in the sixth month...June. Then the "16" is the day, and "73" is the year. Earlier codes were often 4 digit, as in "F169," for June 16th of 1969, which would LIKELY be used in a very late production 1969 model car, or a very early 1970 car. 

I also noted an interesting casting shape in the base of the cylinder heads, which MIGHT indicate desirable units. Take off a valve cover, and you'll find a similar 7-digit casting number as you found on the block, and in another spot, similar casting date codes. Post those here, or send me a PM, and I'll help you figure out what you've got there.