1934 Pontiac Convertible Coupe mystery

Ed Davidson

This forum has cleared up a few mysteries for me in restoring this car which has really been great, but I have one more.  The rear body shell has a cutout on each side of the bottom, directly over the mountings on the chassis, and the "lip" on the bottom barely fits over the mounting because of this.  In other words, right where you would think there would be sheet metal over the mounting, there's a cutout!  The right thing to do it seems would be to fill in the cutout, but maybe I'm missing something here - at this point don't know what it would be.   

cutout.jpg

mounting.jpg

My guess is your car was a business coupe and someone modified it into a rumble seat (dicky seat) coupe?  The Graham rumble seat coupes have a large bracket mounted to the wood frame assembly not to the frame.  See if you can find someone else with a 34 rumble seat to take pictures for you.  The bracket is not in the business coupes, no need.

Here is a show and name from 2019, they might be able to help you out with pictures?  I have always been surprised how similar these cars were built, by year, Detroit was a pretty small town back then.

https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/2019-ypsilanti-orphan-car-show/1934-pontiac-series-603-convertible-david-r-hudson/

1934-Pontiac-Series-603-Convertible-David-R-Hudson.jpg

Here is the 1934 Ford assembly, no wood but almost identical to the Graham

Rumble Seat Hinge Spacers

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)