1922 carburetor fettling

David Marshall

Good afternoon everyone,  I have my Buick semi sorted. BUT has anyone had experience running without the heating of the carb off the manifold ?  The pipes that go from the manifold to the carburetor to warm up the fuel are beyond help. I was told to just take them off. The mechanic that has helped me said it will run a bit rough until the carburetor/engine gets warmed up. 
Also every time we put the choke back on the carburetor it started to flood.  The car starts and runs really well without the choke ?

Any thoughts or advise would be so much appreciated 

David,

The fuel heater system is no longer necessary with today's fuels.  I have never run my 1925 Buick with the heater system.  I blocked mine off during the process of rebuilding the engine.  All engines need to "warm up" and they all will stumble a little until they do.  Not so much with modern engine management, but certainly anything with a basic carburetor and points ignition.  The only time I ever use my choke is pulled out full for a cold start.  Once the engine starts, it is off.  Running a choke for me means fouled plugs in my old cars.  If I do ever use the choke, it is barely on, and not for very long. 

Hugh

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Hugh, you have been a great source of knowledge and advice. I really do appreciate it. We don’t have winters in NZ that you guys would think cold. In fact we live 5km from a beach and it’s a warm climate 95% of the time.  If it’s too cold I wouldn’t take her out. 
Thank you again, Dave 

David, 

Glad to help.  Funny that you mention NZ, but I may be closer to your climate than you think.  I live near Houston Texas, and I am 15 miles from the gulf coast.   We rarely see freezing weather here, but it can get cold in the winter months and evenings    Hugh.    

David.  I agree with Hugh.  You don,t need the heat connected. I have bloked off the heat at the manifold and the exhaust on my cars.  On my 1920,  I give it half choke to start,  as soon as it fires close the choke off.  I never thought of NZ having a warm climate,  37C / 98F here in Aust, the other day and only the first day of summer.

Edited by Rod Wise (see edit history)