Understanding 1928 Chrysler Lockheed External Band Brakes

leomara

These photos are of the front and rear backing plates on my model 72.  The previous owner assembled the brake components to the front plates but not to the rear and I'm trying to determine if the front is complete so I can use it as a visual for the rear.  I've labeled some places on the rear backing plate to ask questions about.  Item A is where the wheel cylinder mounts with 2 hex bolts.  Item B is one of the two places where the external brake band mounts, kind of a square lug that has a hex bolt with a cotter pin to lock it in place.  Item C is a clip for lack of a better term that also holds the brake band in place.  Items D and E are holes in the backing plate, 3 and 2 respectfully that do I don't know what.  Can someone please confirm if I'm on course here or elaborate.     

Brakes Front.JPG

Brakes Rear_LI.jpg

Leo,

The back brakes are assembled exactly the same as the ones shown on your front back plates.

The extra holes D and E are stamped at the factory and if you look carefully you will see that B can be mounted at D and C can be mounted at E, so that they ended up with left and right sides. The extra holes serve no purpose.

There should be rubber dust boots on each end of the wheel cylinders.

There should also be a small spiral spring that fits inside the brake band at B, this spring is fitted at the bottom of B and serves to push the brake band away from the drum. The bolt at B goes inside this spring and the spring is compressed when you tighten the bolt at B when doing brake adjustment.

Viv.