1940 61c convertible top lowering

Century Eight

Are there any special tricks for one person to lower this big top without screwing it up or bending anything,  I”ve heard it is easier with two people to do it and all the manuals from eighty years ago assume you know how to do it manually so it isn’t addressed.

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)

It should fold pretty much on its own, but as you say, don't force it. If it binds, stop and figure out why. I'm not sure if the 61C has the hinge above the side windows that helps the top fold more compactly or if it has the braces that fold inwards, but it should be apparent as you start to move it through its travel. I've been able to raise and lower convertible sedan tops by myself by standing in the back seat area and lifting it over my head. Just do it slowly. Also make sure ALL the snaps are released, along the quarters and along the tops of the windows. Failure here can rip the fabric and bind the mechanism if the snaps don't release like they should. Just take your time and don't force anything. If it fights you, move it back a step and take the pressure off that joint until you can examine it. It will probably be easier the first few times with a buddy just so you don't have to balance it AND wrestle it into place by yourself. 

Go slow and be careful and you'll be fine. It's a simple mechanism.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

It should fold pretty much on its own, but as you say, don't force it. If it binds, stop and figure out why. I'm not sure if the 61C has the hinge above the side windows that helps the top fold more compactly or if it has the braces that fold inwards, but it should be apparent as you start to move it through its travel. I've been able to raise and lower convertible sedan tops by myself by standing in the back seat area and lifting it over my head. Just do it slowly. Also make sure ALL the snaps are released, along the quarters and along the tops of the windows. Failure here can rip the fabric and bind the mechanism if the snaps don't release like they should. Just take your time and don't force anything. If it fights you, move it back a step and take the pressure off that joint until you can examine it. It will probably be easier the first few times with a buddy just so you don't have to balance it AND wrestle it into place by yourself. 

Go slow and be careful and you'll be fine. It's a simple mechanism.