46 Dodge coupe 2 wire fuel sender question

Installing new fuel tank and sending unit in my 46 Dodge. 2 wire unit, 2 wires there going to the sender.  Both wires broken and not connected.   How do I determine which wire goes where.   I am guessing post to left is ground.  Right is powered.  Turning on key I should only get some juice from one wire.  Yes?

Not sure if I am correct but I think the wiring on the sender is simply completing the circuit, your sender will show full when empty if wired incorrectly and empty when empty if wired correctly. If the tank is empty and it shows full on the gauge simply reverse the wires.

• Like 1

Same set up on my 46 Chrysler.

I am about ready to install an aftermarket gas gauge. I don't drive it much yet as I am trying to work out another unrelated glitch in the car.

BUT, I did have the sender and the gauge all rebuilt and it may be healing in. The last few drives the gas gauge has been working.

At first the gauge didn't register at all for the first 20 minutes or so. Then seemed OK, but was frustrating.

I had the gauge guys make everything work on 12 volt negative ground. Even had the clock redone, but It went haywire so I took out its fuse.

Stupid home made cars, its always something.

To answer you question, I don't think there is any power to the sender at all. I think the sender acts as a resister to the ground and it may not matter which wire goes where. But don't take that for gospel.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1