Reatta Bra - Pros and Cons?

tjenkins

Padgett,

Noticed a while back that you run a bra on yours. I've have a used one that I have yet to install.

Now that we're finally here in Ocala,, Florida, 2x/year bug attacks have left our 2001 Lesabre with a temporary covering (until I get our and hand wash the flying residue off the grill).

I thought that of the few times I do take the 90 coupe out, a bra would help.

The bottom line question - does the permanent Bra installation on the Reatta have long-term affects?

Will there be a scarring, pitting, or other slight damage done to the hood and lamp areas using the Bra at highway speeds?

Does wind movement scratch or destroy the thin protective wax covering?

Pros - Cons? Thoughts?

--Tom

(although addressed to Padgett, thought I'd copy the group here for comments)

Guest Geoff Meador

If I may reply, I installed a bra on our 1988 a few months ago.

I feel that the overall appearance of the car is helped by the addition of the bra. I also understand, though, how one could feel the opposite.

It leans the appearance more towards "stealthy European car" and away from "handcrafted American luxury."

The fit of the bra is excellent, like skin over the surfaces of the Reatta. There is very little (if any) motion of the material against the paint.

I suppose that after several years of use, though, there would be noticable side effects. Color differences due to fading would also eventually appear.

I also noticed a sharp increase in average operating temperature (15-20 degrees). The bra has a cutout flap designed to allow the pass-through of the front license plate bracket. Opening this should increase the airflow enough to cool the car back to normal temperatures.

I, unfortunately, had to actually install the front license plate bracket, which negated any benefit that may have offered.

As a final cosmetic note, the large Reatta badge on the nose of the hood is conpletely concealed by the bra. Furthermore, due to the bra's tight fit, it sticks out like, well, a big round thing stuck under tight material.

I haven't investigated the removal of that badge, but it might be a nice touch if you intend to leave the bra on the car for a long time.

OVERALL VERDICT: I like mine very much, and I would recommend it to you. It does a nice job of concealing any minor front end paint chipping, as well.

I can also see how one would NOT like the bra, as well. I'll send detailed pictures if you (or anyone here) needs them.

I like it. For one thing it conceals the pits in the front finish and about a quarter sized place where the hood paint delaminated.

Have had mine on for about a year but not many miles - periodically I check under the lining for dirt but so far it has stayed clean. Did to a heavy wax job just befor installation.

Mine spends most of the time in the garage so hasn't seen much sun.

Did notice an increase in operating temperature until I opened the front center flap but an running a 180F thermostat and reworked the fan on temps to match, now stays under 190F. If had to run with flap closed, think I would lower the HI fan turn on some more to compensate (for a "bottom breather" was surprised that flow through the grille area was so critical).

enk1.jpg

Guest Geoff Meador

Tom,

What you see in Padgett's attached photo is the four-piece construction of the bra.

The primary piece wraps from the top of the fender, along the base of the front end, and up to the other fender. It clips on to the body in the wheel wells, as well as along the underside of the grille.

The second piece slips over the nose of the hood and is held in place by clips to the underside of the hood, along with elastic straps that extend to the far end of the hood along the underside.

The final two pieces each slip elastically over the headlight doors.

You can also see the open license plate bracket flap. The lower piece has four additional cutouts: two for the fog lamps and two additional "breather" holes over the grille.

I sell both the Covercraft and LaBra mask. The Covercraft is a one piece (actually 3 if you count the headlight covers) and the LaBra is two piece. You must partially remove the Covercraft mask to open the hood. The LaBra will allow you to open the hood without touching the mask.

With that said, I don't like mask (bras). The problem being that people tend to install them and leave them in place. As mentioned above this will cause color fade differences but the major problem is paint wear. The back side of all mask have a soft flannel like material. During a rain this will get soaked, and that rain will also carry dirt, grit, and other abrasives into this soft flannel. when the water dries, the dirt remains. Even the slightes movement will now act as a polish....not bad but this goes on and on and on and wears the paint. On sharp edges it can go through the paint.

Few owners ever remove the mask and clean the back. So someday when the mask wears out and you remove it, you will have nice bright shiny paint under the mask with the sharp edges worn.

There is an attractive alternative, but it has drawbacks. 3M makes a clear film, much like window tinting film that can be molded to body contours. I have seen it on a '65 Corvair and some new cars that were on display at SEMA.

A company in San Antonio is making kits for some cars. The Corvair owner indicated he paid around $300 to have his front done. Also, it should be done to a new paint job...why spend that kind of $$$ on a front that already has rock chips and they will show through the clear film?

I live about 90 miles from San Antonio and have considered going to the company for more info. Like window tinting, it takes some training to do the job correctly. So even with the film in bulk or a Reatta kit, the average owner would not be able to install.

For what it's worth.

Guest imported_walt in ciniti

Barneys right, I ran a bra on a silver Merkur and ended up with a 2 tone hood.

Bras are great if you are going on a trip, take if off after the trip.

90 convt red/tan

Barney I give you 99.872% for your answer. Well done.

For 100% just say <span style="font-weight: bold">"You will damage your paint no mater how careful you are!"</span>

For 110% add <span style="font-weight: bold">"You will damage your paint no mater how careful you are!"

"You will damage your paint no mater how careful you are! You will damage your paint no mater how careful you are!"</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">"You will damage your paint no mater how careful you are!"</span>

Guest checkers

I own two reattas that never had a bra on them. I bought my third reatta which came with a bra a few months ago. As soon as I got the car home the bra came off, you wouldn't beleve the paint wear on the front. There was also paint fadeing. The bra may look good but a new paint job will cost you more.

Although the bra looks neat, I'm opposed to it for one reason: if you leave it on all the time, it will eventually cause abrasions in the finish. I guess it's a choice between rock chips without the bra or abrasions with the bra; maybe abrasions are easier to deal with. It's also a pain to remove it every time you wash the car to remove the dirt.

Just my two cents.

Guest C.F.Massie

I agree in most part with Barney, I however do use my LeBra but only when I'm going to drive long distances on the highways. Barney knows well that in Texas, especially on I-35, its hard not to get behind 18 wheelers and man do they throw the junk like rocks, gravel, sand, you name it. That's the main reason I use a bra. I do take it off after every trip and clean it, especially when it has rained on the trip. The Reatta has such a huge amount of frontal exposure and therefore very susceptable to chips, scratches, just about anything so a bra isn't a bad idea but use it sparingly. I drive frequently up and down I-35 from Wichita, Kansas to San Antonio, Texas and believe me it's getting to be like a demolition derby out there with so much traffic and construction. wink.gif

Wheels are 16x7x38 Enkei model 134 from a shop in Melborne called Cruising Gold. They show the size as 4x4.5" but the box was marked 4x115mm. Drove to the coast and not only liked the wheel but also it was in my price range, could use the standard Reatta lug nuts, and the wheel lock fit underneath the center cover.

There are two drawbacks that I am aware of with the wheel. First the 38mm offset is a little lower than ideal (46 mm) so the wheel sticks out a bit. Second, the spokes extend right to the rim edge which means all weights must be mounted to the inside.

Am pretty sure these wheels are no longer current stock but the price was right and since drove over there I could examine them before buying & take with me.

re the bra: I check under the cover periodically and unlike the one on the Transport which has required washing, the Reatta is still clean. Of course it spends most of its life in my garage so no sun fade differential and has only been in a serious rain once.

Besides my front already needs stripping/repainting for the previous chips and delamination but has not been a priority & do not know of a place I would trust (I do not do pretty...).