Monroe Lever Shocks questions

MikeC5

I believe these shocks were offered on circa 1929 DB cars.  Has any one opened theirs up and taken any photos?  Everything I find on line regarding single action lever shocks (mostly Delco-Lovejoy) shows a spring loaded valve that controls the shock action.  The set of these I have have a hollow plug that screws into the shock body and it seems the position of this plug serves to do the same.  But I have no way of knowing if I'm missing parts (unlikely on a set of 4 but who knows?).  Has anyone tried to adjust these?  I also noticed that the piston has a small hole in the top which, I think, is to allow some hydraulic oil to bleed through for lubrication on top of the piston.  On 3 of the units, the hole if around .015 - .020" but on one it is closer to .040".  I'd be curious to know if anyone measured theirs.

IMG_0085s.jpg

IMG_0086s.jpg

IMG_0087s.jpg

IMG_0088s.jpg

IMG_0097s.jpg

IMG_0099s.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Mikec5 

My 28 std six has those same shocks. Mine were the same and I don’t believe you are missing any parts. The pressurized oil from the piston enters the valve threw the center portion of that valve and forces the two spring washers apart this controls how stiff the dampening is. I believe back in the day there were different valves available to change how Much dampening they provided. I’ve experimented with different thickness oil to change the dampening since the valves are not available , this has worked well. I find it interesting that one of your pistons has a larger bleed hole. I also had one with a larger hole and figured at some point someone swapped in a replacement piston with a larger hole. I installed a plug and drilled what I thought was the correct size hole based on the other three.  

Hi Ken,

I didn't even realize those are two spring washers back to back!  That makes more sense.  Maybe I need new glasses...  I may end up doing the same as you with the piston.  Thanks for the info.  Oh and I didn't have the spring installed in this photo.

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)

I’m also unsure if you noticed that on that valve the cap unscrews from the valve and locknut. The cap exposes a large slot that allows the valve to be screwed tightly against the bore, creating a good seal . Then the copper washer ,locknut and the cap. If not tightened against the bore they will leak internally and provide no dampening. You may have realized this but I figured I’d mention it. 

Edited by Kenendcindyc (see edit history)