1913 raceabout - transverse front spring and tube axle.

nzcarnerd

This photo is from a facebook page.

Comments suggesting Simplex, Stutz or Mercer but I don't know for certain what it is.

The most distinctive feature is the front end - note it has a tubular axle and a transverse front spring.

Having the steering tie rod across the front might suggest a date of quite a lot earlier than 1913.

Image may contain: 2 people, outdoor

Just speculating, but overall the vehicle is too heavy (Stutz-like) to be a Mercer. Also appears a bit clunky to be a Simplex. Front fenders are flat (no indication of crown) and are similar to trucks of early teens. No idea really, but what about a thrown-together, homebuilt rig? Also, the headlights are too far apart to be a Mercer or Stutz.

The speedster bodywork is possibly a revision of a standard bodied car . However I believe the chassis is most likely  a regular production item.  That transverse  spring is extremely distinctive however it is something I don't recall ever seeing on a larger car like this one.

The front lamps are quite widely spaced , but are only of a " medium " size.  So most likely not a really high end make. Rad has a bit of a Stevens Duryea look. The fenders may be the stretched  canvas style used on some racers / speedsters .

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

With PA dealer tags and a sporty car, I was thinking Otto, they were distributed out of Philadelphia and made through 1912.  I have to look through my old pictures  but I took dozens of photos of a yellow speedster that was in Horsham PA in the 60's to the 80's. That car has been at Hershey a few times and I think the AACA museum has it now.