Chrome Side Body Moldings

Hi all,

Question regarding our side moldings. Someone hit the passenger door on my TC while it was parked (of course they didn't leave a note, even though there was no way they didn't know they did it). The body molding got scraped up, and the body shop feels like it is not salvageable. Not because it was damaged so bad. It's honestly just scraped off some of the paint, but he's afraid he won't be able to take it off to repaint it without bending it up really bad and ruining it. He told me I should just get a replacement. My obvious point is, if I get a replacement, that one will have to be taken off of another car without being destroyed. So, I'll be in the same boat. He also tried to tell me it's the same moldings as some of the LeBarons, which I do not think is the case. I even told him I've had them repainted once before so I know it can be done. Do any of you all have suggestions on getting this repaired? I think he should just remove it carefully and it should be fine, especially since I do not know another way to get one of these strips except a parts car which will have the same problem. He does great work, but I do not think this thing should be that complicated for a bodyshop.

So why can’t he just tape off, and cover the entire side of the car, leaving that molding exposed. Then work on sanding, priming and repainting that molding while it is still on the door?

Your description leaves us with a vision of minor surface damage to the molding alone. 
Is this an accurate evaluation of your problem?

Imagine how informative a picture would be!