1954 Hydramatic question

Transmissions have always been my weakest field. Been driving the Pontiac for a couple years now with no trans issues. New fluid, filter and TV rod adjustment for satisfied shifts. Came back from an hour cruise on the highway and parked. Went back out and when I tried backing out the drive in reverse, it felt like it was slipping or trying to get a grip to move. I checked the fluid level and was actually surprised it was overfull. I drained out about a quart to get it to the proper level but haven't taken it back out yet. Could this be external band adjustments or something more internal? I know there's probably a dozen reasons but I've been considering tackling the bands, if this could be one of the causes. Thanks!

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 11:21 PM, thomas gaskins said:

sounds like the fluid is draing from the torus what we now call the torque converter . your tranny is probably now low on fluid

we never call the torus or the fluid coupling a torque converter, the fluid coupling in the Hydra-Matic is very fuel efficent, with only a 2 percent slippage. 

• Like 1